Putting your best face forward: Makeup mistakes that age you
By Courtney Waldon, Six Brown Chicks Official Correspondent
Step away from the pancake foundation, dark lipstick and clown-like blush!
Here are a five common makeup mistakes that actually age you, and some easy fixes!
1. Too much foundation: I see this all the time! We want to look flawless, so we cake it on. Too much foundation can actually make your face look cakey, and settle into facial lines thus adding years to your face. Stick with a foundation that gives light to medium coverage but still allows your skin to shine through. I recommend a BB or CC cream. Supermodel Iman and fellow makeup artist AJ Crimson have some awesome BB creams on the market right now.
2. No Foundation: I see this one a lot too! I have found that some women feel they don’t “need” a foundation, or just don’t know how to pick the right one. Well, foundation not only evens out the complexion, it also protects the skin from the elements. Picking the right type and wearing it will not only make you look younger, but it will benefit your skin as well.
3. Blush: Our grandmothers taught us to smile, and put “rouge” on the apples of our cheeks. This technique makes you look dated, and well, like Bozo the clown. Blush should be applied on the highest point of the cheekbones, this gives the illusion that you are glowing from within, and if you are a “woman of a certain age” gives the illusion of lifted cheekbones. Also, stick to colors such as rose, or coral you can’t go wrong with either. My favorites: “Orgasm” by Nars and “Golden Copper” by Mary Kay.
4. Lip color that is too dark: As we get older our lips lose their fullness and our lip line fades, which causes lipstick or lip gloss to bleed–not cute. If you love red stick with a bright, cheerful shade; my favorites: “Ruby Woo” by MAC Cosmetics, or “Indie Flick” by NYX.
5. Runaway (or bleeding) lipstick. If you want to wear a bright lip and you have issues with bleeding use a “clear” lip liner! It creates an invisible border around your lips, so you have no mishaps. Not only will you look great, but these shades of red will make your skin look luminous, and your teeth appear whiter! Don’t believe me? Try it for yourself.
Courtney Waldron is a professional makeup artist who resides in Chicago. Photo by Victoria Harjadi.
Have your blog delivered to you! Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.