Full title: Drunk hippies, raw eggs, police chases, Harry Potter, pole dancing, eviction court and a landlady’s knickers: my two years of blogging for Chicago Now
I’m celebrating my second anniversary as a Chicago Now blogger and I mean “celebrating” in the truest sense of the word. Someone should have told me years ago how fun and informative this can be! It has been so great for me to connect with readers, subscribers, other bloggers and people featured in some of my posts.
Some of my favorite posts have been the multi-part series posts like this one (block clubs), this one (eviction court), and this one (landlord Christmas) because I like telling stories. Blogging is a nice format to learn how to tell a longer story in shorter pieces which can stand alone. I like trying to figure out how to make that work. I also like the once a month Blogapalooza challenges because they can really stretch you outside of your boundaries. Some of the most difficult posts for me to write were this one (“those” women), this one (being accountable), and this one (random violence). My worst trainwreck of a post was this one (rough draft of Flower Haters).
Which post was the most fun to write? This one (the one you’re reading). Because it has given me a chance to look back on all I’ve learned and how much I’ve grown as a landlord and blogger in just two years’ time. I hope some of these posts give you some good information and maybe even a chuckle or two.
- Meeting everyday heroes can change the trajectory of your life
- The Condo Expo is not what you think
- Raw egg yolks are NOT gravy!
- When abuse hits home: how landlords can protect victims
- Rescuing black homeownership to build wealth and stabilize communities
- Blogapalooza: My sense of humor in 600 words or less
- Did budgetary shell games cause a crisis? I smell a rat & I hope it’s a dead one
- Quit the hobby, don’t quit the business
- Mom & pop landlords: stay competitive with discounted shiny bells & whistles
- No easy outs for those who choose to do harm
- How to request a heating disclosure when the heat is in the new renter’s name
- Blogapalooza: I wear a size 12 womens shoe…and by the way I’m 255 lbs
- A police chase through your yard beats a can of Red Bull ANY day
- Check out our block party pics to see the coolest firemen in Chicago
- The Chicago Fire Department: hats off to our unsung heroes
- Have you hugged a firefighter today?
- Don’t miss Bulls’ Kris Dunn & the 400 security camera giveaway
- I shouldn’t be telling you this but…registration closes TODAY at 5pm
- 12 years of safe family fun at the 79th Street Renaissance Festival
- Did we get our fire truck at the block party?
- ‘The Chicago Way’ to get a visit from a fire truck
- Dancing on the pole to boost my block club?
- Blogapalooza: Choose just one you say? I laugh in the face of your expectations
- Thanks to those who read these posts and teach me things
- The best time of year for updating your windows
- Section 8 vouchers: Do shady participants equal a bad program?
- The magical mystical Cook County Land Bank lures homebuyers
- Chicago’s “Ending Veterans Homelessness Initiative”
- Wait, did you say you just WAIVED all the taxes?
- Ride a trolley, sip a cocktail, change a neighborhood
- Best Post Winner: Top five phrases to get a landlady out of her knickers
- On holograms, stabilizing neighborhoods and the wolf you feed
- When violence is all around you should you live or just exist?
- Like everything else there are many sides to squatting
- Give that squatter a prize!
- Do squatters help or hurt challenged neighborhoods?
- Wishing you financial freedom this Independence Day
- Blogapalooza: Moving out of my sister’s basement: a life-changing choice
- Harry Potter helped me become a better landlord
- Grow (or start) a block club in honor of summer
- A recommended beach read for landlords
- Wanna join me to play The Cashflow Game this Saturday?
- I need to be accountable–please help!
- Blogapalooza: Procrastination: outsmarting the nirvana fallacy
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Pt. IVa (solutions)
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Pt. IIIa
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Pt. IIa
- Blogapalooza: What is the REAL root of all evil?
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Pt. 1a
- Get cozy: wrap your love around your pipes this weekend
- Cartoon Cute or Super Predator?
- Blogapalooza: A second chance to live somewhere else…and not for the reason you think
- Blogapalooza: On summer road trips and missing a parent
- Renters singing: Zillow Matchmaker, Matchmaker make me a (landlord) match
- Reconnecting with possibilities at the Printer’s Row Lit Fest…and being A Boss
- Have you considered offering your rental for short term stays?
- Let me tell you about the landlord convention in St. Louis
- Blogapalooza: “The Golden Rule” comes in many shades of gold
- My invitation to speak at a landlord convention through blogging
- More weird and wonderful things from the condo expo
- The Weird and Wonderful Things I Saw at the Condo Expo
- Get ready for the spring condo owners expo!
- Tackling your finances: your elephant in bite size pieces
- Money Smart Week: The Money You Make vs. The Money You Keep
- Happy Birthday to Our Landlord Support Group
- Sexy Landlord Tax Tips
- Landlord Tax Tips That Won’t Put You to Sleep
- Homes by Drunk Hippies That Smell Like Fried Tortillas
- Show Some Landlord Love to Tenants This Valentine’s Day
- Best Post Winner: “Oh, you must be one of THOSE type of women…”
- Blogapalooza: You’re absolutely right. My landlady wouldn’t like that AT ALL!
- Frozen Pipes: A Chicago Treat!
- Forget Powerball. Become a Landlord!
- Mexican Getaway (Living the Landlord Dream)
- Would YOU rent to PitBull & Ne-Yo?: Top 10 Songs About Rent
- Landlordology’s “The 12 Most Popular Articles from 2015″
- Blogapalooza: I Chose to Get Off My Island in 2015
- Attn Chicago Landlords and Homeowners: Shovel Your Snow Because Rahm Wants Your Money
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Part IV (solutions)
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Part III
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Part II
- The Making of a Landlord: A Christmas Carol, Part I
- Eviction Court, Part IV: “You tell ‘em, King Judge!”
- Eviction Court, Part III: “She’ll tell you they’re selling drugs in her apartment, Your Honor!”
- Eviction Court, Part II: Tiny Kingdoms
- Eviction Court, Part I: Slaying the Dragon
Be the first to read new Urban Landlady blog posts. Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.