Did you know…
1. Yoga began in Northern India over 5,000 years ago. The word yoga was first mentioned in the oldest sacred texts, the Rig Veda.
2. According to Yoga Journal, Americans spend 2.5 billion dollars a year on yoga instruction.
3. People who practice yoga are believed to live longer than their counterparts who don’t. The poses lower your resting heart rate.
4. Yoga increases lung capacity, metabolism and arm strength and decreases joint pain, stress and lactic acid in muscles.
5. According to BKS Iyengar, “For every 30 minutes of asana (poses) practice we must allow 5 minutes of rest (savasana or corpse pose) so that the nervous system has time to come back to normal, quiet, center, and so we are not over-excited throughout our days.”
Make sure you don’t miss out on future articles. Like Ups and Downs of a Yoga Mom on Facebook or type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Incredible yoga photo from Bubby & Bean.