Fifteen Hours of Six Flags Great America

Fifteen Hours of Six Flags Great America

7:00 a.m. I wake up make myself black coffee, bummed we are out of milk, and find breakfast for the kids. Then I sit down at my computer to research Six Flags Great America.  My son earned a free pass for reading 200 hours from his school and it expires tomorrow.

8:30 a.m. Husband wanders in and I declare a family meeting to decide if we are going. The kids seem more interested in the iPad, but my husband decides it is “now or never and we should go for it.”

9:00 a.m. I head back to my computer to buy the rest of our tickets online and instruct the kids and husband to get ready.  We agree to try out Hurricane Harbor, the water park, and put on bathing suits.

9:20 a.m.  After paying upwards of $200 for tickets plus waterpark admission and parking, I realize we are out of our black printer ink and therefore cannot print out tickets I just bought.

9:30 a.m. I order my husband to go buy a printer cartridge and I get myself dressed and pack a huge backpack of change of clothes (never used), towel (never used), sun screen, water bottles, granola bars, hats and sunglasses.

10:00 a.m. Husband returns home with cartridge and prints tickets.  Kids read about the Goliath and other rides at Six Flags while we are getting organized. The kids get hyper, excited, loud and out of control. We fail at getting them to listen to us.

10:30 a.m. Make it into the car.

11:00 a.m. Stuck in traffic and kids are loud and bickering.

11:15 a.m. Pull into long line to get in the packed lot.  Park far away.

11:30 a.m. Son walks directly in a mirror of a car. He was too busy talking about his research of the theme park and forgot to pay attention to his surroundings.  Lots of tears.

11:40 a.m. Daughter claims she has something in her eye and blinking isn’t working.

We actually took this photo as we were leaving, because on the way in, one kids was crying and other complaining.

We actually took this photo as we were leaving, because on the way in, one kid was crying and other complaining.

11:45 a.m. In long claustrophobic, hot line waiting to get inside the already crowded amusement park with one child crying about his nose and the other whining about her eye.

11:50 a.m. Confusion as to where to go, what to do.  Finding water park, lockers, applying more sunblock and lots of people in bathing suits. (Miraculously eye and nose are healed.)


12:00 p.m. Split up so boys can go on water slides where the floor drops out and my daughter and I could go on the lazy river.

12:15 p.m. Girl decides she wants to go on the purple water slide.  We climb up a structure with a bucket on top that turns over pouring freezing cold water on us every few minutes.  As we wait in line we shiver, as buckets continue to fall on us.

12:45 p.m. Finally make it to the front of the line and my girl decides she doesn’t want to go on it anymore.  Then she does.  No she doesn’t.  The people in the line are getting annoyed, I send a few people behind us in front.

12:50 p.m. She decides she wants me to go first.  I ask a total stranger to make sure she comes down after to me.  He was super kind and held her up to watch me come down.  Then she eventually made it down.

1:00 p.m. Decide it is time to hit the lazy river.

1:40 p.m. Actually make it to the front of the line.

1:50 p.m. Enjoy a lovely lazy river ride and for the first time in all day I am content and glad we are there.

2:00 p.m. Go to our turtle meeting spot to find the rest of our family for lunch.

2:05 p.m. Find out pool is closed because someone pooped in it.

2:10 p.m. Reunite with boys that were pumped from the crazy slides they enjoyed.  Look for a place to eat and decide on pizza.

2:15 p.m. Find a shaded spot to sit and wait for my husband to get the pizza.

2:30 p.m. Still waiting for pizza, go check on husband who is still in line.

2:45 p.m. Hungry, impatient, hot, still waiting for pizza.

3:00 p.m. Inhale pizza.

3:15 p.m. Get backpack from locker and leave Hurricane Harbor.


3:20 p.m. Separate as the girls head to KIDZOPOLIS for easy stress-free rides and the boys head to Batman and Raging Bull.

3:30 p.m. Husband texts me “Lines are ridiculous going for the fast pass.”

3:45 p.m. Hang with my daughter on a few slow, but fun rides.

4:30 p.m. Head over to meet boys by the Little Dipper (an easy roller coaster that came over from Kiddieland). Line says 90 minutes. Husband agrees to take girl and boy and I head off to explore.


4:45 p.m. Spend twenty dollars in five minutes attempting to win a Pikichu.

5:00 p.m. Walk around with boy and discover picture emporium where we took our family photo two years ago the last time we visited Great America.

5:10 p.m. Text husband to meet us when ride is over.  He replies,” line is moving very slow and the fast pass doesn’t work for this one.”

5:30 p.m. Finally reunite and take a fun Western photo.


6:00 p.m.Boys head back out for one more roller coaster. Girls hit the bathroom and play games even winning a bear for my girl in a shoot the water in the hole race.

7:00 p.m. Meet by carousel and decide to call it a day.

7:30 p.m. Find car.

7:50 p.m. Stop at the Oasis for food.

9:00 p.m. Make it home.

9:30 p.m. Shower away the chorine, sweat, dirt and fun of the day.

10:00 p.m.  My husband starts telling me how it makes more sense to get a season pass so that we can go more often.

10:15 p.m. Pour a glass of wine.

FullSizeRender-53 10:30 p.m. Everyone is asleep.

Have you ever been to a Six Flags theme park?  Are you someone who loves amusement parks or hates them? 

Make sure you don’t miss out on future articles.  Like Ups and Downs of a Yoga Mom on Facebook or type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.

Leave a comment