I found this thought provoking list on a fellow mom’s blog and thought it would be fun to try my own to answer the questions. Surprisingly, it took some time to jog my memory as to what happened the past 12 months. It’s a treat to reflect on the time period and take stock in my successes, failures and goals; a reality check to see if I am where I want to be.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? Handstand and crow pose.
2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? My new year’s resolution was patience. I can’t say I am completely patient now, but I can say in the last year I have learned some techniques for managing my impatience.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes. My best friend from high school and many dear yoga students.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Sadly, yes. My aunt unexpectedly died.
5. What places did you visit? Napa, South Carolina, Philadelphia, New York, Indiana.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? Once again more patience.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? February 1. That was the huge blizzard of Chicago and also my husband’s birthday. We had planned to go out for dinner, but instead I cooked, we watched the snow fall increase and we had a night that we will remember for a long time.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I always said I wanted to be a writer, this year I actually began to feel like one. This blog was nominated for a CBS Chicago Blogger Award and I wrote some pieces for a neighborhood publication that I got paid for and am very proud of.
9. What was your biggest failure? I would have to say the way I lashed out at husband and my mom in times of frustration. There is no reason for me to treat the ones I love the most the worst.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Besides many bruises from attempted yoga poses, I think I’ve been pretty healthy.
11. What was the best thing you bought? We bit the bullet and bought a cozy L-shaped couch that our whole family can hang out and relax on. There is little I want more than to have a comfortable home.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My kids. They impress me every day with their eagerness to try new things. They are the ones that often bring me back to reality when I’m feeling overwhelmed our frustrated.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Constantly reading of guns in schools and innocent lives being lost.
14. Where did most of your money go? Our home.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Time away with my husband.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011? “Roll Away Your Stone” by Mumford & Sons
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I’m happy, but I was happy last year too.
b) thinner or fatter? I feel fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Maybe a tad bit richer as we paid off my car and I’ve picked up teaching another yoga class.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Eating healthy and yoga, although I did a lot of both this year. Also, nights out with friends that I don’t get to see enough.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worrying, complaining and screaming.
20. How did you spend Christmas in 2011? We don’t celebrate Christmas, but our Hanukkah was really nice this year. Our kids are now at the age where they enjoyed the traditions and are learning the prayers and how to spin a dreidal.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011? No. Yet, I continue to be in love.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Survivor is my old favorite and Modern Family is my new favorite.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2011? We went to Starved Rock State Park with my entire family and hiked. Even though it rained, it was great to get out of the city for a low key day.
24. What was the best book you read? I couldn’t put down Matt Logelin’s “Two Kisses For Maddy.”
25. What did you want and get? A trip away with my husband.
26. What did you want and not get? A cure for Cancer. A girl can dream.
27. What was your favorite film of this year? I really enjoyed Black Swan and still think about it many months later.
28. Did you make some new friends this year? I’m grateful I’m creating friendships with neighbors and moms at my kids’ school.
29.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Can’t think of anything.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? Lululemon.
31. What kept you sane? Writing and yoga.
32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I think Jimmy Fallon is hysterical. I’m impressed by Guiliana Rancic’s open struggle with infertility and then breast cancer. I also have a soft spot for Rosie O’Donnell.
33. What political issue stirred you the most? The fact that gay marriage even is an issue doesn’t make sense to me.
34. Who did you miss? My Grandma.
35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011. Live each moment, because life can end tomorrow.
I would love to read your answers to these questions so I can learn more about you. Feel free to link up your blog here:
Or answer the questions in the comments below. I look forward to reading how you have grown and changed in 2011.
Here’s to 2012!