I’ve gotten some news releases that I need to just pump out here, so here’s one:
In February, Burnt City brewing closed its Lincoln Ave, brewpub and bowling alley space, and its packaging brewery in the former Jay’s Potato Chip plant on the South Side, after announcing they needed to refocus their strategy in the Chicago market.
This Friday, they will re-open as part of the new District Brew Yards, a collective space to be shared with former client brewers Around the Bend Beer Co. and Bold Dog Beer Co. The Brew Yards, in a converted warehouse at 417 N. Ashland Ave., will be a first of its kind production brewery collective, featuring a beer hall with a cashless pour-your-own tap system, and retail shop selling merchandise and freshly packaged beer. The facility will feature 40 taps, leaving room for guest beers, and a menu of smoked meats prepared on site.
“The Brew Yards offers so much more flexibility to get a wider variety of exciting beers into the hands of more people,” explains John Saller, head brewer of Burnt City Brewing “This comes from our mixed-fermentation room and designated bottle filler, our ability to brew a huge range of batch sizes—and then to put them all into cans and sell them in our package shop—and the self-serve taps in the beer hall that allow our guests to sample a little bit of everything.”
Beers scheduled to be on tap for the 3:00 pm Friday opening include:
- Wildfire Series 007: Cabernet Barrel Cherry Brett Saison (6.5% ABV)
- Golden Zombie Sour Passion Fruit Hazy DIPA (8.0% ABV)
- Gulo-Fermented Raw IPA, a collaboration with Omega Yeast Labs (7.0% ABV)
Around the Bend:
- Vera Pistachio Cream Ale (5.0% ABV)
- Extra Circus IV Brut IPA (7.5% ABV)
- Diamonds & Pearls Late-Hopped Double Pale Ale, a collaboration with Maplewood Brewery & Distillery (8.2% ABV)
- K.I.S.S. Citra-hopped Saison (7.4% ABV)
- Tilly Mango and Papaya Hefeweizen (4.6% ABV)
- C-Lo Tropical Pale Ale (5.1% ABV)
The Brew Yards will be open at 3:00 pm, 7 days a week, closing at 11 pm Sunday through Thursday, and at 2 am on weekends. Its location adds to the breweries in the Near West Side Brewing District, including Goose Island Beer Co., Finch Beer Co., Great Central Brewing Co., All Rise Brewing Co. and On Tour Brewing Co.