The Chicago Beer Society held its seventh annual Day of the Living Ales tasting on Saturday, March 5. The festival featured 44 beers from 26 brewers from Chicagoland and across the nation, all served from casks in “real ale” style. The beers are conditioned in their serving casks and served by “cellarmen” trained in britain and at CBS’s fall Real Ale Festival. Goose Island’s Wrigleyville brewpub was the site for the event.
In a recap posted to the CBS Web site , director Steve Hamburg reports that 500 attendees sampled the beers over two sessions, after noon and evening and cast ballots to decide the “2011 Champion Real Ale of Chicagoland.”
- Goose Island Beer Company Skully (a saison [Belgian farmhouse beer] aged in oak barrels with fresh strawberries, honey, and Champagne yeast)
- Goose Island Beer Company Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout, made with beans from Chicago’s own Intelligentsia Coffee and Tea, and aged in a Bourbon barrel.
- Three Floyds Zombie Dust, a “single-hop” American Pale Ale, made using only Citra hops from Washington’s Yakima Valley.
In addition, Hamburg notes, “the cellar staff awards an annual “Golden Tut Award” to the brewery/beer that best exemplifies the overall cask ale experience. The winner for 2011: Firestone Walker Double Jack Double IPA.
Many other blogging attendees offered their own awards. Cheesemonger and Cicerone David Phillips’ “Cheese and Cheers” blog award a “Farty Firkin” to Bell End Bitter from Piece Brewery & Pizzeria of Chicago, “for a traditional cask style of beer, that is also exceptionally drinkable, and well-behaved in the cask.”
Sponsors for Day of Living Ales were the Brewers Supply Group, Cicerone Certification Program, and Owen & Engine. Appetizer, meats and cheeses were provided by Goose Island, Marion Street Cheese Market, and Gene’s Sausage Shop & Deli.
Brewers present cask beers at “Day of the Living ales” were:
- Arcadia Brewing, Battle Creek, MI
- Emmett’s Brewing Co., West Dundee, IL
- Firestone Walker, Paso Robles, CA
- Flossmoor Station Restaurant & Brewery, Flossmoor, IL
- Founders Brewing Co., Grand Rapids, MI
- Goose Island Beer Co., Chicago
- Goose Island Clybourn Brewpub, Chicago
- Half Acre Beer Co., Chicago
- Haymarket Pub & Brewery, Chicago
- Lagunitas Brewing, Petaluma, CA
- Lucky Monk Burger, Pizza & Beer Co., S. Barrington, IL
- LunaR Brewing Co., Villa Park, IL
- Marin Brewing, Larkspur, CO
- Metropolitan Brewing, Chicago
- Mickey Finn’s Brewery & Pub, Libertyville, IL
- Moylan’s Brewery & Restaurant, Novato, CA
- New Belgium Brewing Co., Ft. Collins, CO
- Onion Pub & Brewery, Lake Barrington, IL
- Piece, Chicago
- Revolution Brewing, Chicago
- Rock Bottom Chicago, IL
- Rock Bottom Lombard, IL
- Rock Bottom Orland Park, IL
- Rock Bottom Warrenville, IL
- Stone Brewing, Escondido, CA
- Three Floyds Brewing Co., Munster, IN
- Two Brothers Brewing Co., Warrenville, IL