Few things in life are more frustrating than discrimination and violence. Pit bulls are still being used and abused for dog fighting in cities across the U.S.. In addition to this cruel exploitation, the dogs that are adopted by responsible pet parents face discrimination because the public often associates them with violence. It’s an awful cycle.
Every person has the power to fight against ignorance and cruelty. Jon Bernthal of “The Walking Dead” is doing his part by teaming up with Animal Farm Foundation and their campaign, The Majority Project. The goal is simple, to show everyone that the majority of pitties are loving family members. This is a breed that was once revered as the “nanny dog”. Go to themajorityproject.com to post your photo and see some images and stories of the millions of happy pibble smiles that represent the majority.
This isn’t the first time I’ve posted against breed discrimination. In the past, such posts have been spammed and retaliated against with messages about how all pit bull-type dogs should all be euthanized. To all the hate-filled individuals calling for death based on looks – Thank you! Thank you for motivating me to keep posting and educating. You prove that there is still an incredible need for public education. Yes, I know that math can sometimes be hard, but pointing to old statistics from hospitals that attribute bites to pit bulls is not scientific evidence to validate your hate. Without giving a full lesson in statistics, I’ll just preemptively say the obvious reasons why the old bite statistics are completely ignorant to use as an argument for euthanization:
- The bite statistics from hospitals show three common breeds at the top of the list (pit bull-type, Rottweiler, and German shepherd). Statistically, the fact that these dogs are so common can attribute to why they appear on hospital records of bite statistics. The problem is when people jump from that to calling for euthanization. For example, if most business officials guilty of corporate espionage happen to be white males, mathematically we can understand that corporate America is dominated by caucasian males, but logic does not follow that you should accuse every white male of being predetermined to commit espionage. Mathematical logic – you can’t use it half way to rationalize discriminatory behavior and if you do – you’re doing it wrong.
- This is the publication on dog bites that everyone I’ve seen refers to when saying pit bulls should be euthanized. The most recent numbers in the study are from 1998, the breed was recorded at the hospital where the bite victim went (how accurate could all the accounts be on the breed?), and right on the front of the study it says “Fatal attacks represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and, therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs. Many practical alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist and hold promise for prevention of dog bites.’
- Even if a city were to decide to euthanize all “pit bulls”, there are so many mixed-breed dogs out there (“pit bull” isn’t even a specific breed) and most people fail to properly identify the American Pit Bull Terrier. See for yourself on Pick the Pit. Before anyone goes yanking dogs from their homes to be euthanized simply because of their “breed”, shouldn’t the breed be properly identified?
Like this? You may also like:
- Walking Dead’s Jon Bernthal is Breaking Pit Bull Stereotypes
- Finding Hope in a Dog Fighter
- Circus for Animal Lovers!
- Dog Would Have Saved Teen from Incarceration
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.