“The real problem of humanity is this: We have Paleolithic emotions…medieval institutions…and god-like technology.” [Biologist-author Edward O. Wilson]. The longer you reflect on that, the sooner our problems become clear. If, however, you don’t see this, here are 5 disgustingly current illustrations:
* Georgia police officer Williams Martinez had a fatal heart attack having sex with a woman in a motel. Th jury awarded the widow $3 million because doctors who knew he had a heart condition should have warned him to “avoid strenuous activity.”
* A New Jersey woman hit by a baseball at a Little League game is suing the 11-year old player for $150,000 because of “recklessness.”
* The former mistress of a Nassau County police chief is suing the county for negligence for not knowing he was visiting her while on duty. She suffered “severe and substantial emotional damage.”
* A South Carolina funeral home is opening a Starbucks in their lobby. Director Chris Robinson hopes “it will help customers get their minds off what’s going on.”
* To date, 0.000063 % of the country’s population [196 superwealthy people] have given more than 80% of the money SuperPacs have spent on this year’s presidential election.
Like you perhaps, I sometimes wonder if there were a way to get-away-from-it-all…! About then, I read the average Canadian is now richer and lives longer than the average American. The net worth of the average Canadian household is $363,203 to our $319,970. What’s more, Canadians with national health coverage live on average 3.2 years longer.
Good Lord…! And the border is only a few hundred unarmed miles away…!
Filed under: Uncategorized