Parade Magazine had an article with the title saying, “Movies We Love.” The article mentioned how movies can trigger positive emotions. I believe this is true. Sometimes you can watch a good movie and forget your problems. We spend a lot of energy avoiding things that trigger negative emotions; however, we should also spend energy embracing the things that trigger positive feelings and memories.
There was only one movie on the Parade list that I have watched. That was Raiders of the Lost Ark. I decided to create my own list of movies that I love. This is my list. You can feel free to create your own list. I do want to say that I am a huge Marvel fan, but I am not listing any of these movies. I am making a list of movies from my childhood and early adulthood that bring pleasant memories.
- Lady Sings the Blues starring Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams. I remember Billy Dee Williams holding money in his hand and asking Diana Ross did she want his arm to fall off.
- Claudine starring Diahann Carroll and James Earl Jones. This movie showed that love conquers all. It also had one of the best soundtracks with Gladys Knight & the Pips.
- Three the Hard Way starring Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, and Jim Kelly. This movie may have been considered a blaxploitation film; however, I enjoyed it.
- Cooley High starring Glynn Turman and Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs. After seeing this movie, I asked my father to drive me through Cabrini Green so I could see the neighborhood.
- Harlem Nights starring Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, and Della Reese. The cast puts this movie on my list.
- What’s Love Got to Do with It starring Angela Basset and Laurence Fishburne. You get to see Tina Turner triumph over her circumstances.
I am not criticizing the Parade list. I am sure there was a process for creating it. I just felt compelled to create my own list. The beautiful part of life is that you can create your own list.
Filed under: Uncategorized