The 2021 monthlong Open House Chicago Festival, now in its 11th year, includes a variety of offerings highlighted by a full weekend of in-person site viewing plus free access to the CAC building.
The Open House weekend features access to more than 100 venues and over 30 Chicago neighborhoods along with select suburbs on October 16-17, 2021.
New Open House Chicago Sites for 2021
Sable Hotel (pictured at the top of the post) at Navy Pier, The Penthouse Hyde Park, Pullman National Monument Visitor Information Center, Bank of America Tower, 540 W. Madison, Herman Miller Showroom, Quinn Chapel, Illinois Holocaust Museum and the return of Orchestra Hall and Union League Chicago (Members Only).
Open House Chicago Site Favorites Returning
The Forum, Chinese American Museum of Chicago, McCormick Bridgehouse & Chicago River Museum, Seventeenth Church of Christ Scientist, Sky-Line Club, Wintrust’s Grand Banking Hall, Growing Home’s Wood Street Urban Farm, Muslim Community Center, Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool, International Museum of Surgical Science, Holy Name Cathedral, Nichols Tower at Homan Square (Original Sears Tower), Bahá’í House of Worship, Clarke House Museum, Glessner House, McCormick Place Rooftop Farm, Irish American Heritage Center and many more.
New Open House Chicago Self-Guided “Trails” tours
· Obamas in Hyde Park: Self-guided tour in Kenwood and Hyde Park areas highlighting the Obamas’ lives in these historic neighborhoods.
· Great Chicago Fire: Self-guided tour recognizing the 150th Anniversary of the fire that changed our city’s history (driving or biking trail).
· Helmut Jahn: Self-guided tour of several sites forming a downtown loop of Jahn buildings and CAC exhibit Helmut Jahn: Life + Architecture.
· Uptown Entertainment District: Self-guided tour of historic entertainment sites clustered near North Broadway and Lawrence Avenue in Uptown.
· Hutchinson Street Historic District: Historic homes on Hutchinson in Uptown.
· Preservation Across Chicago: Self-guided tour of sites discussing current preservation wins and on-going campaigns in Chicago.
Returning Self-Guided Trail Favorites include the ‘First Family Favorites’ trail showcasing Mayor Lightfoot and First Lady Amy Eshleman’s tour of Logan Square, “Beer Baron Row” in Wicker Park and “A Women’s History of Lincoln Park.”
The 2021 festival has been expanded. In addition to in-person viewing, there are many opportunities for engagement and guided exploration throughout October.
Open House Chicago 2021 free mobile app is available for download from the app store starting today, October 1.
The Chicago Architecture Center (CAC) is a nonprofit organization founded in 1966, dedicated to inspiring people to discover why design matters. A national leader in architecture and design education, the CAC offers tours, programs, exhibitions and more that are part of a dynamic journey of lifelong learning.
Its current location opened to the public in 2018. It sits on the riverfront in the heart of the city, where Michigan Avenue meets the Chicago River, The space features nearly 10,000 square feet with views of a century of iconic skyscrapers.
Through partnerships with schools and youth-serving organizations, the CAC reaches approximately 30,000 K–12 students annually, while teacher workshops provide educators with tools and resources they need to advance STEM curricula in their classrooms. Committed to serving under-represented communities in construction, engineering and design professions, the CAC offers many of its education programs—and all of its programs for teens—at no cost to participants.
|Show Me Chicago features reviews and previews of Chicaago’s dining, arts, entertainment, festivals and theater|