With the City of Chicago facing record breaking low temperatures starting tonight, there are many closings, in addition to all CPS schools, for Wednesday, January 30, 2019. With the kids out of school, you may be thinking of taking them to a museum or show but check first as a lot are closing for the day on Wednesday. Some are even closing early today and will also be closed on Thursday.
Show Me Chicago will try to keep the list updated, but please check that your individual event hasn’t been canceled before heading out. Also check Metra and other public transportation as many schedules will be altered.
Museums and cultural institutions
- The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago, and its restaurant Marisol, will be closed Wednesday.
- Brookfield Zoo will closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- Lincoln Park Zoo will close early on Tuesday at 3 p.m. and will remain closed on Wednesday.
- The Field Museum will be closing early Tuesday at 2 p.m. and will remain closed on Wednesday.
- The Adler Planetarium will close both Wednesday and Thursday.
- The DuSable Museum of African American History will be closed Wednesday.
- The National Museum of Mexican Art will be closed Wednesday.
- The Chicago History Museum will be closed Wednesday.
- The Spertus Institute will be closed Wednesday.
- The Art Institute of Chicago will be closed Wednesday.
- The National Hellenic Museum will be closed Wednesday and Thursday.
- JUST ADDED:
- The Newberry Library, closes 3pm. Tuesday, closed all day Wednesday; Thursday, 12pm-5pm (reading rooms/exhibition galleries/bookshop); Friday, 10am-5pm (reading rooms); 8:15am-5pm (exhibition galleries); 10am-5pm (bookshop).
- Kohl’s Children’s Museum, closed Wednesday.
- Navy Pier will be closed on Wednesday.
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater is cancelling the Tuesday and Wednesday performances of “Us/Them.” “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” will continue its previously announced extension performances Thursday to Sunday.
- The Goodman Theatre will be closed Wednesday.
- Pride Films and Plays has cancelled the Wednesday performance of “I Know My Own Heart.” The company will schedule a makeup performance for 7:30 p.m. Feb. 6.
- “The Woman in Black” at the Royal George is cancelling the Wednesday performance.
- First Folio in Oak Brook is cancelling performances of “All Childish Things” on Wednesday and Thursday.
- The Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire has cancelled both performances of “Million Dollar Quartet” on Wednesday.
- Northlight Theatre in Skokie has cancelled its Wednesday performances of “Nina Simone: Four Women.” Patrons may re-schedule into any other performance, excluding opening night (2/1) or closing day (3/2) by calling the box office at 847-673-6300.
- Court Theatre has cancelled tomorrow’s performance of “Photograph 51.”
- Tomorrow’s performance of “Algorithm Nation” at Second City has been cancelled, and the company’s training center will also be closed.
- JUST ADDED: Hamilton at CIBC Theatre just cancelled both the matinee and evening performance for Wednesday.
- Timeline Theatre will be closed on Wednesday.
The coldest wind chills will range from 40 to 55 below zero Wednesday and Thursday mornings. A wind chill warning will goes into effect 6 p.m. Tuesday to 12 p.m. Thursday. There is also a wind chill advisory from 4 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesday.
The temperatures in Chicago on Wednesday will be lower than Dome Fuji in Antarctica (37 degrees), Mount Everest (3 degrees), and Nome, Alaska (18 degrees).
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Chicago cold