New this year
Chicago will be ringing in 2019 in several locations along the the Chicago River above the Chicago Riverwalk from Lake Street to Lake Shore Drive:
Fireworks displays,, choreographed to music, will be launched along the Chicago River at the five following locations:
- Franklin Street bridge
- Clark Street bridge
- Wabash Avenue bridges.
Two barges will also be staged both east and west of Columbus Drive at the following locations:
- Directly north of the Hyatt Regency Chicago
- Directly south of the Sheraton Grand Chicago
Please Note: The Riverwalk itself will be closed at 10 pm. and remain closed until it opens the following morning to the public. NO viewing of the fireworks will be allowed on the Riverwalk.
“The Riverwalk has changed the way people interact with the Chicago River, transforming from an industrial waterway to one of art, culture, music, architecture, and commerce,” Mayor Emanuel said. “Ringing in the New Year with a fireworks display along the River will build on the success of the past season and highlight all that is coming to the Riverwalk in 2019.”
Another free fireworks display will blast off at midnight at Navy Pier. The 15-minute Navy Pier fireworks show can be seen best on the South side of the Pier. Spectators are advised to come early probably sometime in the late afternoon to be sure to gain admittance to the Pier which will be closed to the public once capacity is reached.
- Curb lane closures will be in place along the Franklin, Clark and Wabash bridges and will begin at 7pm on Monday, December 31 until 1am on Tuesday, January 1.
- Eastbound Lower Wacker, between Michigan Avenue and the turnaround is anticipated to close beginning at approximately 11:30pm on Monday, December 31 through 12:15am on Tuesday, January 1.
- Upper Wacker, Lake to Stetson, is anticipated to close beginning at 11pm on Monday, December 31 through completion of the event.
- There may also be additional intermittent or rolling closures at their discretion for the purpose of public safety.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized