Let the Madness Begin
The 77th edition of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament is here. The madness got the green light on March 17th and will continue to surprise, stun and shock fans until a winner prevails.
We’ll find out who that winner is at the championship game on April 6th–when all bets are off. Whatever happens between now and then, as always, we’re in for a wild ride.
Show Me Chicago has put together a list of sports bars where you can support your team and view the games with like-minded fans.
The team to beat this year is the, so far, undefeated Kentucky. If you are a Wildcat fan–not to be confused with other wildcats of which there are many including Davidson, Arizona and Villanova to name a few–you will find yourself among friends at The Pony. With University of Illinois out of the picture this year, Kentucky fans will have The Pony all to themselves. 1638 W Belmont Ave.
Especially with no Illinois teams in the mix this year, a lot of locals will be cheering on the Kansas Jayhawks. Here are two bars where you can find like-minded fans:
1. Kincaide’s– the Jayhawks home away from home–will be rock’n. 950 W. Armitage. (773) 348 0010.
2. Lottie’s is another KU friendly spot with 19 flat screens upstairs and 4 flat screens and 2 projectors downstairs in addition to 23 beers on tap. Specials will include a $5 Kansas whiskey and a $8 Boulevard schooner. But be forewarned, you may have to put up with some Wisconsin fans. 1925 W. Cortland, 773 489 0738.
Love them or hate them—-North Carolina always seems to be in the running. If you are a Kansas Jayhawk fan and still haven’t gotten over the fact that Roy Williams left you for the Tar Heels–you’ll want to steer clear of Gamekeepers. If you are a Tar Heel fan this is your kind of bar where you can cheer for your team among friends with the possible exception of some stray LSU supporters. 345 W Armitage Ave.
Mad River is another choice for North Carolina fans. 2909 N. Sheffield Ave.
The Ohio State Buckeyes will be among friends at Wriglyville’s Casey Moran’s at 3660 Clark St. 773 755 4444 or at the DePaul hangout, McGee’s Tavern & Grille at 950 Webster Ave. 773 549 8200.
There’s sure to be a lot of thirsty Wisconsin fans cheering for their team around town. Here are three spots where they will feel right at home.
1. Will’s Northwoods Inn–a little slice of Wisconsin in the middle of the Windy City. 3030 N. Racine, (773) 528-4400.
2. Deuces and The Diamond Club where Badger fans can enjoy $15 domestic buckets, $5 Badger Bombs and $18 “Wings N’ Things” at 3505 N Clark St.
3. Southsiders can cheer for Wisconsin on their side of town at Kroll’s South Loop. The pub will be featuring Wisconsin favorites including cheese curds and Bucky beer buckets. 1736 S Michigan Ave
Indiana fans will want to head to the Kirkwood Bar & Grill where they can rub shoulders with tons of other Hoosiers. 2934 N Sheffield Ave.
DUKE and VILLANOVA
Duke fans will have a devil of a time painting the town blue at Sedgwick’s Bar & Grill. Sedgwick’s also welcomes Villanova fans. 1935 N. Sedgwick St.
If Michigan State is your team, head to Mullen’s Bar & Grill at 3527 N. Clark St. 773 325 2319.
Boilermakers can enjoy slow-smoked barbecue along with fast basketball action at Wicker Park’s The Smoke Daddy Bar-B-Que. 1804 W. Division St. 773 772 6656.
The Fighting Irish can hang out in the Windy City at The Kerryman Irish Pub at 661 N Clark St.; Commonwealth Tavern (2000 W Roscoe St.) or Racine Plumbing Bar & Grill (2642 N Lincoln Ave.) or they can head to their favorite spot in South Bend.
Hawkeye fans can cheer for their guys at Mac’s American Pub. 1801 W Division St.
Virginia fans will feel at home in Chicago at Blackfinn Ameripub (65 W Kinzie St.) where everyone knows what a Cav is.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.