Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the 46-day period of prayer, fasting and abstinence between Fat (Shrove) Tuesday and Easter. The day is observed by many by receiving ashes, often in the sign of a Cross, that are placed on one’s forehead as both a celebration and reminder of human mortality.
With our busy life-styles something new has been added this year to make this tradition more user-friendly and convenient. Chicago’s Urban Village Church will be offering a kind of “drive through” for Ash Wednesday observances by “Takin’ It to the Streets” of Chicago offering ashes to people at various citywide locations.
Pastor Christian Coon along with other Pastors, staff and members of Chicago’s Urban Village Church will be on hand to offer ashes to one and all at locations including: Daley Plaza (50 W. Washington), the Chicago Theater (175 N. State Street), near Northwestern University’s Sheridan Road Evanston campus, the CTA “Red Line’s” Howard and Loyola stations, and the 63rd & Cottage Grove CTA “Green Line” station.
Chicago’s Urban Village Church (UVC) will also offer ashes at their four locations: Hyde Park & Woodlawn, Wicker Park, Andersonville and Downtown.
Today’s Ash Wednesday Schedule and “Street” Locations
- CTA Roosevelt Station: 8 a.m.-9 a.m.
- Daley Plaza: 8 a.m.-9 a.m.
- Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies (610 N. Michigan): Noon–1 p.m.
- CTA “Red Line” Clark/Division station: 5 p.m.–6 p.m.
- Chicago Theater/Theater District/State Street: 5 p.m.–6 p.m.
- Oriental Theater/Theater District/State & Randolph St: 6:30 p.m.–7:30 p.m
- CTA “Blue Line” Logan Square Station: 8-9 a.m.; 5–6 p.m.
- CTA “Blue Line” Damen Station: 8-9 a.m.;6:30–7:30 p.m.
- CTA “Blue Line” Division Station: 8 -9 a.m.; 5-6 p.m.
- Metra Ravenswood (Lawrence) Station: 6:45 a.m.-8:00 a.m.
- CTA Howard Station: 7:30 a.m.-8:30 a.m
- CTA “Red Line” Loyola Station: 9 a.m.-10 a.m.
- Clark & Berwyn Intersection: Noon-1 p.m.
- Evanston, near Northwestern Univ., Chicago & Sheridan: Noon- 1 p.m.
- North Park Univ., Student Union,near 3225 W. Foster Ave.: Noon – 1 p.m.
- CTA “Red Line” Belmont Station: 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
- CTA “Red Line: Berwyn Station: 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
- CTA “Green Line” 63rd and Cottage Grove Station: 8 a.m.-9 a.m.
- 57th and Kimbark: Noon – 1 p.m.
- 53rd and Lake Park: Noon-1 p.m.
- 53rd and Harper Court: 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.