A full day of events are on tap at the 2013 Magnificent Mile Lights Festival that, for many, has become the kick off to the holiday season in Chicago on Saturday, November 23.
Over one million guests are expected at this year’s bash with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse flying in from their warm Florida digs at Walt Disney World® Resort to lead the special occasion.
Schedule of Events
11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lights Festival Lane on Pioneer Court, 401 N. Michigan Avenue.
- Photos with Santa, cake decorating with Eli’s Cheesecake, family activities and live entertainment are sure to get you in the holiday spirit on Lights Festival Lane.
11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Live Music and Performances at the BMO Harris Bank Stage on Pioneer Court, 401 N. Michigan Avenue.
- Click here for the complete musical line-up.
11 a.m. to 4 p.m. BMO Harris Bank Board Game Tent at John Hancock Center Plaza, 875 N. Michigan Avenue.
- A full afternoon of fun, games, special activities plus prizes.
- Join ESPN Radio talent at the life-sized board game where kids can learn helpful steps about managing their money.
5 p.m. The “Largest Holiday Carol.”
- Mario Lopez and his family will ride down Michigan Avenue and rally the crowd to participate in the “Largest Holiday Carol.”
5:30 p.m. The Parade. The parade steps off at Oak St. and North Michigan Avenue, and proceeds south down the Mag Mile to Wacker Drive
- Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse will lead the magical parade where more than one million lights on 200 trees will be illuminated. The parade will feature more than 40 floats, helium-filled balloons, marching bands plus special celebrity appearances including Grace Phipps from the Disney Channel Original Movie Teen Beach Movie, Interscope recording artist Megan Nicole, The Joffrey Ballet and more.
- Crowd favorites returning to the parade include: Santa Claus on the John Hancock Observatory float, Hubert the Lion balloon from BMO Harris Bank, a Nutcracker balloon from Southwest Airlines and the world-famous scent of Garrett Popcorn Shop’s popcorn infused down the procession route from the shop’s float.
6:55 p.m. Fireworks, the Chicago River at North Michigan Avenue.
- The BMO Harris Bank Magnificent Mile Lights Festival draws to a grand conclusion with a spectacular fireworks display over the Chicago River created from more than 10,000 handmade fireworks shells from Lumina.
- For the first time this year, festival goers will have the unique opportunity to leave their mark on The Magnificent Mile at the BMO Harris Bank Community Art Project. By designing a single colorful tile, participants will help complete an extraordinary mural that represents the city of Chicago. A portion of the finished art will be unveiled along the parade route and live on display along The Magnificent Mile during the holiday season.
If you can’t make it to the parade the event will be broadcast live on Saturday, November 23 from 6 pm – 7 pm CST on ABC7 Chicago and in more than 100 markets around the country throughout the holiday season.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.