Fourteen Tall Ships from the USA and around the world will be taking Chicago’s Navy Pier by storm at this year’s Tall Ships® Chicago 2013 when they arrive in a spectacular “Parade of Sail” on Wednesday August 7.
There are several areas from which you can view the “Parade of Sail” which sets sail from Northerly Island at 2 p.m. then parades past Navy Pier’s East End at approximately 2:30 p.m. before continuing on to North Avenue beach before turning back south to dock at Navy Pier.
Not only can you view the ships from afar, you can board and tour them when they will be moored at Navy Pier from August 7th through August 11th. In addition, you can go for a sail on Chicago’s own Tall Ship “Windy” a 148′ traditional, four masted gaff topsail schooner along with other Tall Ships.
To book a cruise aboard a Tall Ship go to Tall Ships® Chicago 2013 . The 75-minute cruise is $69 and 120-minute cruise is $99. Sails are available the morning of August 7 and daily August 8-11. Tickets include a cruise aboard a designated Tall Ship, commemorative Tall Ships passport book and access into the festival to dockside board and tour Tall Ships August 8-11.
Wednesday, August 7th
2 p.m. Special opening ceremony, Navy Pier’s East End
2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Announcing of the ship arrivals, Navy Pier’s East End
Thursday, August 8th
11 a.m. The Crew Welcome Walk. Crew members from each participating ship will gather at the entrance to Dock Street and walk east towards the entrance of the Tall Ships® Chicago 2013 festival grounds accompanied by a marching band and entertainment for all.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Sunday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (festival hours). Stop by the Grand Ballroom for educational opportunities and family activities including nautical activities for kids featuring a radio-controlled sailboat pond and a station where they can learn to tie sailing knots. Displays include historic photographs from the Chicago Maritime Museum, artifacts from the War of 1812 and live coverage of the Chicago Match Cup.
The Chicago Match Cup. Included in general admission to this year’s festival, visitors can witness modern match racing (August 7-11) alongside maritime history as 12 of the world’s best teams sail against each other in match race sailing, a form of head-to-head competition similar to the America’s Cup. The Chicago Match Cup is the only U.S. stop on the Alpari World Match Racing Tour. This event will take place just feet from the edge of Navy Pier.
Two stages located outside on Navy Pier’s East End offer live entertainment. The Match Cup Stage will deliver up-to-the-minute Match Cup racing commentary, live bands and DJs and the North Dock Stage will have various musical acts ranging from a cappella sea shanties to modern country soul.
Match Cup Stage schedule
Thursday: 10 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
North Dock Stage Check schedule
Thursday, Friday and Saturday: noon – 8:30 p.m.
Sunday: noon – 5 p.m.
List of Ships:
- SS Sorlandet (Norway) – *Available for Dockside Boarding/Viewing
- Pathfinder (Canada) – *Available for 75-minute Sail Away Cruise and Parade of Sail
- Appledore IV (USA) – *Available for Dockside Boarding/Viewing
- S/V Denis Sullivan (USA) – *Available for 120-minute Sail Away Cruise, Parade of Sail and select Dockside Boarding
- Flagship Niagara (USA) – *Available for Dockside Boarding/Viewing
- Friends Good Will (USA) – *Available for 75-minute Sail Away Cruise and Parade of Sail
- Halie & Matthew (USA) – *Available for Sail Away Cruise
- Hindu (USA) – *Available for 75-minute Sail Away Cruise and Parade of Sail
- Lynx (USA) –*Available for 120-minute Sail Away Cruise, Parade of Sail and select Dockside Boarding
- Madeline (USA) – *Available for Dockside Boarding/Viewing
- Peacemaker (USA) – *Available for Dockside Boarding/Viewing
- Pride of Baltimore II (USA) – *Available Dockside Boarding/Viewing and Parade of Sail
- Red Witch (USA) – *Available for 75-minute Sail Away Cruise and Parade of Sail
- Unicorn (USA) – *Available for Dockside Boarding/Viewing
- Windy (USA) – *Available for Sail Away Cruise, purchase tickets at www.tallshipwindy.com
*Please note that guests must be 3 years of age or older to participate in a sail away cruise and a paid ticket is required for each passenger
General admission is $5 and gives visitors access to the festival grounds and the opportunity to view all of the magnificent vessels and experience match race sailing action up close.
Dockside boarding admission is $25 for adults and $12 for children. The tickets include one day’s entrance to the festival August 8-11, the Chicago Match Cup and access to dockside board and tour Tall Ships. Visitors can save $1 per ticket by buying online.
Parade of Sail on-board tickets are $229. The tickets include a four-hour sail to witness firsthand the pageantry of the Parade of Sail, a boxed lunch, a commemorative Tall Ships passport book, a Navy Pier Ferris wheel ticket and a parking pass for August 7.
If you would like to view high-res photos of Chicago’s Tall Ships 2010, many of which are returning for this year’s festival go to Tall Ships Chicago 2010.
Subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Show Me Chicago by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.