CHICAGO, August 9, 2012. The Bears preseason kicks off today. There’s over an hour less daylight than a month ago. Back-to-school ads proliferate. The leaves are beginning their annual descent. But never fear, Chicago is still in full summer mode as you can see for yourself in this week’s calendar of events.
- Ginza Holiday Festival, August 10-12, Old Town, 435 W. Menomonee.
- Northalsted Market Days, August 11-12, 11a.m. to 10p.m. N Halsted S.t between Belmont Ave and Addison St.. $7.
- Retro On Roscoe, August 11-12, at 11, noon to 10p.m. 2000–2300 W Roscoe St., 773-665-4682, $5.
- Bud Billiken Parade, August 11, Bronzeville.
- Slow and Low Community Lowrider Festival, Sun 12, 11am–9pm. Chicago Urban Art Society, 600 W Cermak Rd, unit 1B,773-951-8101, Adults, $10, kids $2.
- Festa Italiana Thu 9, 3–10pm; Fri 10, 3–11pm; Sat 11, noon–11pm. Taylor St between Racine St and Ashland Ave. Adults, $5, kids free.
- Veggie Fest, Sat 11, Sun 12, 11am–8pm. Science of Spirituality Meditation Center, 4S175 Naperville Wheaton Rd, Naperville, 630-955-1200.
- Wood Dale Prairie Fest Thu 9, Fri 10, 6–11pm; Sat 11, 3–11pm; Sun 12, 1–6pm. 100 E Commercial St, Wood Dale, 773-868-3010. Carnival rides, fried foods, bingo and FIREWORKS.
- Chicago Arts District 2nd Friday, artists’ studios and 30 galleries in the East Pilsen neighborhood open their doors for art, conversation, wine and cheese. 6pm–10pm., 1821 S Halsted St.
- Art at the Glen, Saturday and Sunday, The Glen Town Center, Glenview, 10a.m. to 5p.m. 175 exhibitors.
- Chicago Bears vs. Denver Broncos, Soldier Field, Kick-off, 7:30p.m., Thursday, August 9.
MUSIC AND DANCE.
- Grant Park Music Festival, Friday, August 10 at 6:30pm; Saturday, August 11 at 7:30pm. Millennium Park, Pritzker Pavilion, 205 E Randolph St. 312-742-7638. Free.
- Loops And Variations summer series continues this Thursday, August 9 at 6:30p.m. in Millennium Park. Free.
- Chicago SummerDance Thursday, August 9; Saturday, August 11, 6–9:30pm; and Sunday, August 12, 4–7pm. Grant Park, Spirit of Music Garden, 601 S Michigan Ave 312-742-4007. Free.
- Ravinia Festival, Ravinia Park, just North of Lake Cook on Green Bay Rd. in Highland Park. TRAIN, Saturday, August 11.
- Tuface Friday, at House of Blues, Chicago.
- Chicago Sister Cities International Festival, Thursday and Friday, 10:30a.m. to 5:30p.m. Chicago’s Daley Plaza is transformed into an International Marketplace filled with a rich variety of authentic ethnic food, merchandise and entertainment.
- Book Event. Costumed Star Wars characters will be available for picture ops when my ChicagoNow colleague, Carrie Goldman (Portrait of an Adoption) discusses and signs her new book Bullied: What Every Parent, Teacher and Kid Needs to Know About Ending the Cycle of Fear. The idea for the book grew out of a blog Carrie wrote on ChicagoNow about her first grade daughter who was taunted by the boys for her love of Star Wars. Tuesday, August 14th, at 7 pm, Barnes and Noble, Old Orchard Mall, Skokie.
- Navy Pier Summer Fireworks, Saturdays at 10:15pm. (Wednesdays, 9:30p.m.) through Sat Sept. 01 10:15pm 600 E Grand Ave (at Streeter Dr).
- Wizard World’s Comic Con Show, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont.
GET OUTTA TOWN.
- Milwaukee Air and Water Show, Saturday, Sunday, 9a.m. to 4p.m. Milwaukee Lakefront, between Bradford Beach and McKinley Beach, 2272 North Lincoln Memorial Drive, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Take I-794 East to the lakefront, exit Lincoln Memorial Drive, take Lincoln Memorial Drive north approx 2 miles to the show site at Bradford Beach.
- Michigan’s National Blueberry Festival, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, South Haven/Van Buren County Convention & Visitors Bureau. The 49th Annual National Blueberry Festival features blueberries; blueberry pancake breakfasts, a parade, steelheader’s fish boil dinner, lots of family events, art shows, pageants, craft show, 5K run, blueberry bake off competition, and free concerts. (269) 637-2662.
- Illinois State Fair Thu 9–Sun 12, 7am–midnight. Illinois State Fairgrounds, 801 Sangamon Ave, Springfield, 217 782 6661,. $5, seniors and kids ages 5–12 $2, kids under 5 free.
- Mendota Sweet Corn Festival Thu 9, 6–10pm; Fri 10, 11–12:30am; Sat 11, 9–12:30am; Sun 12, 9am–6pm. 800 Illinois Ave, Mendota, IL. 815-539-6507.
- Wisconsin State Fair Mon 6–Thu 9, 8am–11pm; Fri 10, Sat 11, 8am–midnight; Sun 12, 8am–10pm. Wisconsin State Fair Park, 640 S 84th St, West Allis, WI (414-266-7000, . $9, seniors $6, kids ages 6–11 $5, kids 5 and under free.
- Chicago Air and Water Show, August 18, 19, 2012 from Fullerton to Oak Street, with North Avenue Beach as the focal point.
- Jammin’ at the Zoo, Friday, August 24 featuring Hot Chelle Rae and Allstar Weekend, on August 24. Gates open at 6 p.m.Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest: August 18-19, Rogers Park.
- North Side Summerfest, August 18-19, North Center.
- Chicago Dancing Festival, August 20-25, 2012, multiple downtown venues.
- Taste of the Gold Coast on Thursday, August 16th from 6-9pm at the Sofitel.
- Long Grove Art Fest, August 18th-19th, suburban Long Grove.
- Clark After Dark – August 23rd.
- The Boulevard – August 24th-26th
- Chicago Jazz Festival, August 30 through September 2.