CHICAGO, Thursday, August 23, 2012. Going, going, gone. As the summer season transforms into fall many taken for granted summer events are going away. Shakespeare in the Parks and The Grant Park Music Festival shuttered their doors last weekend. Most summer events at Millennium Park, if not already closed, go only through Labor Day. And if you don’t catch the Wednesday or Saturday fireworks at Navy Pier by September 1…you have to wait until New Year’s Eve.
Of course, as always, there is a lot on the horizon with over 200 theaters gearing up for the 2012-2013 season, art openings, Labor Day Fests (including Jazz Fest), fall fests (including a slew of Oktoberfests) all just around the corner that Show Me Chicago will be previewing and reviewing. Until then, get out and enjoy the weekend.
- The Boulevard, August 24-26, Logan Square. Fri 24, 5–10pm; Sat 25, noon–10pm; Sun 26, noon–9pm. Logan Blvd at Milwaukee Ave. (773) 665-4682, $5.
- Bucktown Arts Fest, Sat 25, Sun 26, 11am–7pm. Senior Citizens Park, 2300 N Oakley Ave. (312) 409-8305.
- Clark After Dark, Thursday, August 23rd, Thu 23, 4–10pm. 420 N Clark St (312) 923-7070, $10.
- Chicago Dancing Festival. August 20-25, 2012, multiple downtown venues.
- Food Truck Social, August 25 and 26, 1200 N. Milwaukee. Sat 25, Sun 26, noon–10pm. West Town, $5.
- Taste of Latin America, Friday,i 24, 5–10pm; Sat 25, Sun 26, 11am–10pm. Armitage and Central Park Aves. (773) 868-3010.
- Bash on Wabash Sat 25, Sun 26, noon–10pm. Wabash Ave between 13th St and 14th Pl. $5, kids $3.
- Randolph Street Market Festival Sat 25, 10am–6pm; Sun 26, 10am–5pm. 1350 block of W Randolph St. (312) 666-1200. $10, online $8, kids under 12 free.
- Taste of Greece Sat 25, Sun 26, noon–11pm. 100–400 S Halsted St (847) 509-8050.
- Ukrainian Days Festival Sat 25, Sun 26, noon–10pm. Smith Park, 2526 W Grand Ave (773) 366-4025. $5, kids under 13 free.
- Mayfair Park Art Fair, Saturday, August 25 10a.m.- 3p.m., local artists to showcase and sell their work. 4550 W. Sunnyside.
- Workout at Millennium Park. Saturday, Get a free summer workout in Millennium Park until the end of August. Try yoga, pilates or Zumba from 7 a.m.-10 a.m. Great Lawn.
- Navy Pier Summer Fireworks, Saturdays at 10:15pm. (Wednesdays, 9:30p.m.) through Sat September, 1, 600 E Grand Ave. (at Streeter Dr).
- The Green City Market. Stock up on fresh fruit and vegetables at the Green City Market in Lincoln Park. Saturdays (and Wednesdays), 7a.m. to 1p.m.
- 18th Annual Black Harvest Film Festival through August, Gene Siskel Film Center of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Movies in the Park continues this weekend with free movies in Chicago Parks. This Saturday, The Wizard of Oz 7:30 – 9:30p.m. Oz Park, 2021 N. Burling.Bring a blanket or chairs and pack a picnic for a fun evening. All movies begin at dusk.
IN THE BURBS.
- The 2012 Annual American Craft Exposition, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Juried indoor exposition and sale of fine craft includes one-of-a-kind pieces, quality collections and uniquely creative artwork. Henry Crown Sports Pavilion on the Evanston campus of Northwestern University, 2311 Campus Drive, Evanston.
- The Will County Fair, August 22 through August 26. Peotone.
- Taste of Highland Park AND The Port Clinton Art Fair. Fri, Aug. 24, Sat, Aug 25, 2012 – Sun, Aug 26, 2012. Huge juried art show plus eighteen restaurants participating in the “Taste” in the town that is quickly becoming the restaurant hotspot on Chicago’s North Shore. Central, First and Second in downtown Highland Park.
- The First Annual Midwest Brewers Fest which will showcase over 150 world-class American craft beers from around the country. Plainfield Electric Park Lockport Street on the Dupage River, Plainfield.
- North Shore Wine, Beer, Cigar & Food Festival, Saturday, August 25, 3-8p.m., Tickets $30 advance, $40 door can be purchased online or at Libertyville Village Hall.
- Naperville Wine Festival Fri 24, 4–10pm; Sat 25, 3–9pm. More than 270 wines plus live music and cooking demo. CityGate Centre, 2135 City Gate Ln, Naperville (847) 382-3270. $35, advance $27, designated drivers $10, under 21 free.
- Ravinia Festival, Highland Park. Lyle Lovett, Friday. Anita Baker, Saturday.
- Sunday, August 26, Josh Berman and his Gang performs at the Old Town School of Folk Music’s Szold Hall (4544 N. Lincoln Avenue). $15 admission, 6:30 p.m. concert, (773) 728 6000.
The highly-anticipated Belly Q has opened its’ doors this week in the hot West Randolph Street corridor. The long-awaited restaurant makes three for Bill Kim with siblings Belly Shack, and Urban Belly rounding out the trio. 1400 W. Randolph St. (312) 563-1010.
It’s the final week for the blockbuster Roy Lichtenstein Exhibition at Chicago’s Art Institute. Due to the popularity of the exhibit the Art Institute will be open for extended hours during its final days at the Art Institute. From Friday, August 31, through Monday, September 3, the exhibition will be open until 8:00 p.m.
- Chicago Jazz Festival. August 30-September 2., 2012, Chicago Cultural Center, Millennium Park, Grant Park.
- Open Streets, the free pedestrian playground, returns to the Loop–promising “bigger and better” on Saturday, Sept. 8, and makes exciting debut in Wicker Park/Bucktown on Sunday, Sept. 16
- An annual Chicago Jazz Festival eve tradition continues with the Jazz Institute of Chicago’s Jazz Club Tour, Wednesday, August 29, Jazz music fans can visit up to 16 Jazz Clubs for one low price that includes transportation. Tickets are available online or any of the 16 clubs.
- The 48th Chicago International Film Festival, October 11- 25, 2012.
Filed under: Chicago events