Restore a Sailboat - May 2018

WelcomeWith temperatures rising, and the days getting longer, it starts to feel good in the shipyard.  And the worklist keeps acting like an accordion.  I knock some things off the list, only to find new problems each day that add to the list.  At a certain point you figure you have seen and inspected everything, I guess I’m not there yet.

109. I remove the plastic cover off the boat as other crew are beginning to show up and we need the room to move around the deck.

110. On the 12V circuit panel, I install a 12V pilot light. The best thing it does is reminds you that it is on, when you are leaving the boat, so you shut the battery switch off.

111. With the re-coring of the deck, many fittings were removed, so I go around and re-tape (using electric tape) all sorts of fittings that later could snag a sail and tear it.

112. With the warmth, it is painting time. I paint inside the head cabinet, two hanging cabinets, quarterberth, and navigator berth cubbie hole.

113. Replaced the running incandescent lights with LED White/Green/Red bulbs.

114. After building the pieces and varnishing them with four coats of varnish, it is time to install the new head cabinet.  There was no cabinetry here when the boat was purchased. It comes together nicely, and works great.  Another example that no one notices that itis not original to the boat.

115. Installed eyelets on the side of the boom to keep reeflines from dangling.

116. Internalized outhaul line in boom.

117. We upgrade our knowledge base aboard.  I install a high gain antenna that is connected via Verizon to a mobile router on board.  Or a simpler way to describe it, Verizon cell service is like your home internet provider, and the mobile router is like your WIFI in your house.  Cell phone range is very short as we get away from shoreside antennas out in the Lake.  This gives us much greater range of internet than just a cell phone can provide.  I’ll report back how good the range is out on the Lake later after we get some experience with it.

118. Made and installed two hinged legs to keep the main hatch open.

119. Installed the new rudder. Lubed and oiled all moving parts of the steering quadrant.

120. Removed the no longer needed winches and other fittings off the side of the mast.

121. Installed rigid boom vang.

122. Cut all running lines on boat to length.

123. Installed screens with Velcro attachments on all hatches.

The next owner is really going to enjoy this boat.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment