Restore a Sailboat - August 2017

WelcomeMy Dad is at the boat in early August when the skies opened up and a deluge occurred. He went below decks shutting the hatches, only to find he needed to put his rain gear on.  Rain was coming in through all sorts of through-bolts on the deck soaking the floor, cushions, counters, etc.  He marked each leak with a piece of blue masking tape, it looked like a party with all of the streamers hanging from the ceiling when he was done.  Some 30 leaks.  The list gets longer…….  Here’s what I accomplished in the heat of August, and missing many fine days of sailing out on the Lake while tied up to the dock –

34. A foreguy pulley on the foredeck was mounted and a cleat for the foreguy installed on the back end of the boat.

35. A pre-feeder for the jibs acquired and installed on the front of the boat.

36. Deck music speakers have a foam edge around the cone that is attached to the housing.  Eventually these foam edges disintegrate which has happened.  I remove the speakers, buy new “foam surrounds” (this is what they’re called), glue them on and re-install the speakers.  Without having done this, water from rain or waves pours in through the speaker housing and into the inside of the boat.  Two more leaks fixed.

37. Acquired and installed a 2nd adjustable rod that holds main hatch open.

38. The head seat would not stay up, as an angled wall prevented it.  I removed the seat, cut it along that wall side, sanded it smooth and repainted the entire head seat and re-installed.  It works nicely and looks good.  At the same time cleaned the porcelain with Barkeepers Friend.

39. When you lie in a bunk in harbor it is nice and level.  When the boat heels over one way you’re up against the wall, and heeling the other way you’re dumped onto the floor. We had Lee Cloths made which fasten with rope front and back ends to the walls on top, and screw down to the plywood under the bunk pad on the bottom and creates a cloth wall for you to sleep against when the boat heels.  Installing these four took a lot of screws, bolts, nuts, washers, lag screws, snaps, eyelets and rope to get it all fitted and working.

40. There are bronze “Thru Hull” fittings that hoses are attached to on the inside.  The hoses are held in place with hose clamps. Oddly, while the straps of hose clamps are stainless steel, the threaded screws are commonly steel.  These threads rust away, the hose comes loose, the boat sinks.  The solution is to replace any steel ones, with stainless steel and put two hose clamps on each hose that is below the waterline.  I went around and replaced and doubled where necessary.  Confidence is needed so that the boat won’t sink on you.

41. The Formica counters are bleached, soft scrubbed, scraped of paint and varnish, and clean.

42. Checked out the polarity of the 120V wiring, it checks out. And identified that the refrigeration works only on shore power.

43. Drilled a hole in the bilge pump handle, fashioned a hook to hang it from, put a lanyard on it that connects it to the boat and allows it to be pumped at the same time.  You don’t want to lose your bilge pump handle overboard. This is a safety requirement.

44. The table in the settee rotates just by brushing the side as you pass it.  Drilled and tapped two wing bolts into the top and bottom of the post to stop this.

45. Galley Soap Dispenser installed which filled a hole in the countertop left by a manual pump removed by prior owners.

46. Replaced interior lighting with Red/White LED Lights.

47. 3′ of shockcord installed to hold garbage can in place under the stairs.

48. A Cigarette Socket doesn’t function.  Traced it out to find the fuse was blown.  Replaced the fuse and it works.

49. The Survey required the bracing of the head holding tank as it can slide about 2″ from side to side.  Installed the bracing.

While installing bracing for the holding tank, some water spritzed by my foot that was in a cramped dark place.  What was that?  Then it spritzed again.  What was that?  I got out of the lazarette, removed the stairs, opened the door to the back end and pushed things around, and it spritzed again.  One of the cockpit drain hoses has a loop.  When it is not pushed, it is pinched, it doesn’t leak, when it is pushed a little, the bottom side of the hose at the loop is split and water comes in (as the cracked hose is below the waterline).  Sooo, time to close the thru-hull, it won’t turn.  I use wrenches, levers, etc. and can just barely get it to turn.  Then I loosened the nut on the shaft behind the handle, and that allowed the valve to close easily.  There are three hoses that go to this thru-hull, two cockpit drains and the cockpit bilge pump.  Another leak uncovered.
50. We move the boat to the shipyard for winter storage.
Professionals, my Dad, Stepmother, and Sister do some of the work too, here’s what they did:
  • Cooling water in engine fixed.
  • Got a hose and a nozzle.
  • Tested water tank and sink faucets in galley and head.
  • Painted the Steering Pod
  • Painted the rear deck vents.
  • Head system tested out and is working.
  • New top put on the settee table.
  • Scraped some varnish off the deck.

The next owner is really going to enjoy this boat.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Leave a comment