Is High School sailing getting ready to start already? Just where did the summer go?
The most explosive growth area in sailing today is High School sailing. More schools are signing up each year, practices are done, competitions are held on weekends, culminating into championships at the end of the season, just like any other sport.
Boats are provided at each event, so the kids don’t need their own boat. All they need is their own sailing gear and a high school that has a team.
There are 82 schools in 2016 (69 in 2013, 16% growth) in the Midwest District between Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana. If you want a team at your high school, look to see how to start one. Most, if not all, high school teams have partnered with a yacht club or a sailing school and uses their boats. Some yacht clubs and sailing schools even provide their coaches.
Like all of sailing, it occurs through volunteerism. No one should expect to just show up and go sailing. There are scheduling meetings, budgets, trips to plan, carpooling to plan, and those who really excel will be in the gym building those muscles needed to sail a boat in top physical shape.
The sailing career doesn’t end with high school graduation, collegiate sailing is awaiting for these sailors.
This is a very affordable way for your high school aged people to go sailing, with fresh air, exercise, camaraderie, friendships and competition. Sign them up today!
Those with High School Teams in the Lake Michigan region include:
- Arrowhead, Hartland, WI
- Badger, Lake Geneva, WI
- Beacon Academy, Evanston, IL
- Big Foot, Walworth, WI
- Brother Rice, Chicago, IL
- Catholic Memorial, Waukesha, WI
- Culver Academies, Culver, IN
- East Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, MI
- Evanston Township, Evanston, IL
- Fenwick, Oak Park, IL
- Germantown, Gemantown, WI
- Gibraltar, Fish Creek, WI
- Grand Haven, Grand Haven, MI
- Grand Rapids Christian, Grand Rapids, MI
- Grant, Fox Lake, IL
- Hamilton, Hamilton, MI
- Hinsdale Central, Hinsdale, IL
- Holland Christian, Holland, MI
- Johnsburg, Johnsburg, IL
- Jones College Prep, Chicago, IL
- Kettle Marraine, Wales, WI
- Lake Forest Academy, Lake Forest, IL
- Lake Forest, Lake Forest, IL
- Lane Tech College Prep, Chicago, IL
- Latin School of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Loyola Academy, Wilmette, IL
- Lyons Township, La Grange, IL
- McHenry, McHenry, IL
- New Trier, Winnetka, IL
- Oconomowoc, Oconomowoc, WI
- Oshkosh North, Oshkosh, WI
- Oshkosh West, Oshkosh, WI
- South Christian, Grand Rapids, MI
- Spring Lake, Spring Lake, MI
- St. Francis, Traverse City, MI
- St. Ignatius College Prep, Chicago, IL
- St. Joseph Catholic Academy, Kenosha, WI
- Traverse City Central, Traverse City, MI
- Traverse City West, Traverse City, MI
- University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, Chicago, IL
- Walter Payton College Preparatory, Chicago, IL
- Wauconda, Wauconda, IL
- Winneconne, Winneconee, WI
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized