13 reasons why BuzzFeed is wrong on this article, “32 Ways You Know You Grew Up in a Dysfunctional Family.”
You keep using the word “dysfunctional.” I do not think it means what you think it means.
13. None of the examples indicate anything abusive.
12. They’re just funny.
11. And a little bit quirky.
10. With unorthodox imaginations. (The world needs more of this anyway).
9. You know what dysfunction really is?
8. A dysfunctional family has abuse in it.
7. Emotional and psychological abuse.
6. Neglect and abandonment.
5. Physical abuse.
4. Dozens of commenters have already pointed out your incorrect and vaguely insulting use of the “dysfunctional family” term in your article.
3. I know the truth is not funny or interesting enough to go on BuzzFeed.
2. But it’s hard enough for people who grew up in dysfunctional families without minimizing the damage it did by clueless uses of “dysfunctional.”
1. If you haven’t figured it out by now, a dysfunctional family is not a synonym for a crazy/funny/weird/unorthodox/loving family.
Filed under: Abuse