Born today was L. Frank Baum,
Invented Dorothy, la jolie petite femme,
Who millions and millions of memories sowed
As she wandered with friends down the Yellow Brick Road.*
My favorite quotes from the book:
1. “There is no place like home.”
2. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.”
3. “Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.”
4. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.”
5. “Brains are the only thing worth having in this world, no matter whether one is a crow or a man.”
6. “There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid and that kind of courage you have plenty of.”
7.”‘I am Oz, the Great and Terrible,’ spoke the Beast, in a voice that was one great roar. ‘Who are you, and why do you seek me?'”
8.” It was Toto that made Dorothy laugh and saved her from growing as gray as her other surroundings. Toto was not gray, but he was a little black dog, with silky hair and small black eyes that twinkeld merrily on either side of his funny wee nose. Toto played all day long and Dorothy played with him and loved him dearly.”
And this exchange from the movie:
Dorothy: Your Majesty, if you were King, you wouldn’t be afraid of anything?
Lion: Not nobody, not nohow!
Tin Man: Not even a rhinoceros?
Dorothy: How about a hippopotamus!
Lion: Why, I’d thrash him from top to bottomus.
Dorothy: Supposin’ you met an elephant!
Lion: I’d wrap him up in cellophant!
Scarecrow: What if it were a brontosaurus?
Lion: I’d show him who was King of the Fores’.
Lion: How?…Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the “ape” in apricot? What have they got that I ain’t got?
Lion: You can say that again! Ha, ha—huh?