The world is divided between those who love puns and those who do not. I’m one of the former. It must be in my DNA because I don’t seem to have a choice . Let me give you an example. This morning I found myself telling my wife that I replaced the mat outside the side entrance because it had outworn its welcome. She was kind enough not to groan. Especially on Valentine’s Day.
So be duly forewarned. The following material contains puns and may result in headaches and dyspepsia. On the other hand, it is hoped it may elicit a chuckle or two and earn a dispensation from disapprobation.
Ten reasons why Benedict XVI thought he was over the hill (the Vatican, that is).
1. He needed relief from the Te Deum of Papal life.
2. He reached the conclusion that it was the rite thing to do.
3. At his age he knew it was time for the Gen-Ex cathedra.
4. He wearied of saying “Pardon my French”.
5. There were far too many papers to grade in the College of Cardinals.
6. He was routinely failing his examination of conscience.
7. The brutal fact was he was Petering out.
8. He was getting paranoid about the holes in the Swiss guard security.
9. He wasn’t sure which to take: the Via Appia or the Via Gra.
10. He feared for his life in a town with so many missals.
11. He could no longer stay afloat in the Holy See.