Welcome to Portrait of an Adoption! I am so happy you are here! In honor of November being National Adoption Awareness Month, I will be running the ninth annual special series called 30 Adoption Portraits in 30 Days.
The series is designed to give a voice to many different people with widely varying perspectives on adoption. Some stories will describe heartwarming and uplifting experiences, while others will reflect the pain, darkness and loss often embedded in adoption.
In an effort to provide an authentic portrayal of what adoption means to different people, the series will feature guest posts by adoptees, birthparents, adoptive parents, relatives of adoptees, and foster parents.
If you are interested in submitting your story, please note the following submission guidelines:
- Email me an original personal essay of 1,000 – 3,000 words to email@example.com.
- You may also submit your piece directly to my website by going here.
- Please include a 2-3 sentence bio with any links to your work and an optional photo.
- Due to the volume of submissions, I do not accept essays that have been previously published on other sites, but you may absolutely republish your piece anywhere you want immediately after the series ends!
- Submission deadline is October 1, 2019, but I pick posts on a first come, first serve basis, so the sooner you send in your piece, the better to guarantee a spot.
- It is very important to me that the series has a good flow and an emotional balance. As such, I try to pick stories that are not too similar to each other. If I receive a bunch of fantastic essays that are from a common perspective, I will only run a couple of them, so that we can represent multiple experiences.
Remember, I can only run stories from the options that have been submitted, so if you have a story to tell and you want to see your voice represented, send it in! Anyone is invited to send a story. May the Force Be With You as you send in your submission!
And be sure to check out our awesome children’s chapter book series, Jazzy’s Quest: Adopted and Amazing! The third book in the series, Jazzy’s Quest: Camp to Belong, is now available. Jazzy is a creative, ten-year-old Star Wars fan who also happens to be a transracial adoptee in an open adoption. The first book in the series was a chapter book designed to introduce Jazzy, her loving family, and her friends to our readers. The second book was twice the length of the first and explored Jazzy’s social relationships at school and the struggle to fit in with peers.
This new third book is a full middle-grade book and it delves into the complex relationship among separated siblings in reunion, as well as the unique challenges that adoptees face as they navigate the world. Jazzy explores her feelings about being a person of color in a white family, and she learns more about foster care.
* * * *
Carrie Goldman is the author of Portrait of an Adoption. She is an award-winning author, speaker, and bullying prevention educator. Follow Carrie’s blog Portrait of an Adoption on Facebook and Twitter
To continue receiving posts from Portrait of an Adoption, simply type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button.