Welcome to Portrait of an Adoption! So happy you are here. In honor of November being National Adoption Awareness Month, I will be running the seventh annual special series called 30 Adoption Portraits in 30 Days.
The series is designed to give a voice to many different people with widely varying perspectives on adoption. Some stories will describe heartwarming and uplifting experiences, while others will reflect the pain, darkness, and grief often embedded in adoption.
In an effort to provide an authentic portrayal of what adoption means to different people, my series will feature guest posts by adoptees, birthparents, adoptive parents, relatives of adoptees, and foster parents.
If you are interested in submitting your story, please note the following submission guidelines:
- Email me an original personal essay of 1,000 – 3,000 words to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include a 2-3 sentence bio with any links to your work and an optional photo.
- Due to the volume of submissions, I do not accept essays that have been previously published on other sites, but you may absolutely republish your piece anywhere you want immediately after the series ends!
- Submission deadline is October 15, 2017, but I pick posts on a first come, first serve basis, so the sooner you send in your piece, the better to guarantee a spot.
- It is very important to me that the series has a good flow and an emotional balance. As such, I try to pick stories that are not too similar to each other. If I receive a bunch of fantastic essays that are from a common perspective, I will only run a couple of them, so that we can represent multiple experiences.
Remember, I can only run stories from the options that have been submitted, so if you have a story to tell and you want to see your voice represented, send it in! Men, women, teens – everyone is invited to send a story. May the Force Be With You as you send in your submission!
And be sure to check out our awesome children’s chapter book series, Jazzy’s Quest: Adopted and Amazing!
Are you looking for some awesome children’s Star Wars chapter books? The BRAND NEW second book in the Jazzy’s Quest chapter book series for adoptees is HERE!!! Be sure to get your copy of Jazzy’s Quest: What Matters Most, the sequel to Jazzy’s Quest: Adopted and Amazing!