Once again, it’s time for another round of Derby Dozen. Six weeks remain until the Kentucky Derby, and it’s time for a new list with the Rebel, San Felipe, and Tampa Bay Derby in the books.
The Author is pleased to be a member of the “Derby Dozen” panel for WirePlayers. Each member of the panel chooses twelve of the best Kentucky Derby Contenders. In addition, there are comments from members of the panel. The list is taken fairly seriously; the comments however are more snarky than serious.
Update, March 20: Final WirePlayers Ballot is here.
(Note: As this list is published before the final list is published including all the panelists, a link to the final ballot will be provided once it is available.)
Without further ado, here’s the Derby Dozen.
- REVOLUTIONARY Please don’t go to the Fair Grounds, please don’t go to the Fair Grounds,…
- FEAR THE KITTEN Make or break for the Illinois-bred in the March 23 Spiral.
- CODE WEST Sometimes it’s the “other” Baffert runner that gets all the glory.
- MAC THE MAN Make or break for the pride of NoKY in the March 23 Spiral.
- HEAR THE GHOST Let’s hope he becomes more than the “token Derby throwout trained by Jerry Hollendorfer”.
- WILL TAKE CHARGE Let’s hope he becomes more than the “token Derby throwout trained by D. Wayne Lukas”
- VERAZZANO Ten furlongs is a bridge too far.
- ORB At least he won when given a suicidal pace to chase. Take that, OXBOW.
- ITSMYLUCKYDAY Continues to train up to the Florida Derby. Continues to leave the “can he run well away from Gulfstream or Monmouth” question unanswered.
- VYJACK In the Gotham, Joel Rosario gave the type of ride that could win a Kentucky Derby. Not likely with this horse, though.
- JAVA’S WAR Somebody had to be second in the Tampa Bay Derby.
- FLASHBACK Simon Bray’s comments on TVG vis-a-vis GOLDENCENTS being distance challenged can be applied to him.
Got any good contenders? Don’t see your favorite? State your case, drop a comment, and let me know.