We all have stuff. There is no right or wrong answer as to how many items one should have in their home. In my opinion its personal choice. There are many things to think about when we evaluate how much stuff we have in home.
* Space- Do we have enough space to store all our items.
* Do we utilize the stuff we are keeping in our homes?
* Why do we have the stuff? Was it inherited, gifts, or treasures?
* Can we properly function in our space? Can we find what we need and get stuff done?
* Can it be sold or donated?
The beginning of the new year is a perfect time to start “right sizing” your space. The best way to work this project is start with one room at a time. I too, do this every January. During the year, items tend to creep in all our homes.
I go through all my closets, cabinets, and drawers. Normally I end up getting rid of a few things I either don’t need or aren’t in usable condition anymore.
Things to think about purging:
* Clothes that aren’t in usable condition or that you no longer wear
* Kitchen items that you don’t use(If you only knew how many bread makers and juicers I donated last year)
* Old phone books- most people use google for information
* Clean out those bathroom toiletries- there are plenty of charities that will take unused items
* Clean out your pantry – evict the expired
Clear your space and make room for the things you do need and use on a regular basis. If you aren’t displaying keepsakes make sure they are packed and put in a storage area. Its important for you personally to decide how much stuff you feel comfortable managing. How do you want to spend your time? Think about it!!