I was moving a client the other week and noticed some items were missing. The said items where found buried in another room. Yes, the box was clearly labeled but quickly moving movers had misplaced it. This is just one of the moving mistakes that occurs on a regular basis.
Lets be honest, moving is not a fun experience. If you are downsizing, it can take months to get ready to move. Between evaluating, selling, recycling, and donating items- your time will be spent.
By time move day comes around, stress can be at an all time high. Here are some suggestions to help aid the move.
- Do a pre- purge move. Go through each room and decide what you need and don’t need.
- Plan your space. Will all of your furniture work in your new space? Do you need to add or subtract items?
- Label your boxes for the room they are going into- not the room they are coming from.
- Organize before your move. Movers are going to pack your stuff as is. The more organized your items are, the easier the unpack.
And here are some other helpful hints to aid in the actual move itself.
- Make sure the boxes are clearly labeled. Sometimes I color code boxes to help in proper placement.
- Don’t have the movers put the boxes in closets to save space. This provides a challenge for the personal trying to unpack the items.
- If you are moving locally, pack a bag with toiletries, your computer, and clothing for a few days.
- Pack your sheets in a trash bag so you can make your bed that day.
- Make sure your cords and misc electronic parts go in a parts box and its clearly labeled.
- Don’t throw misc boxes in the garage or basement. This will take more labor and time to sort through them and relocate the items. Try to place things where they should go.
A little prep work goes a long way in the moving process!! Enjoy your new space.