Moving season has begun. The market is being flooded with homes and people are packing it all up. The great rush has begun to get settled at the end of the school year or before the new school year begins. Moving can be heaven or hell. It depends on the way you get ready for it.
There is no time like the present to start your move prep. If you have lived in your home for a long time, it will take awhile to go through your items. Yes, I am talking about the pre- move purge. When your space changes, your need for things changes as well.
Here are some helpful tips to help you get started.
- Go through your home room by room and write a list if the furniture that will work in your new space. Put the items for sale or consignment that you don’t need anymore.
- Next start with the attic or basement. These tend to be catch all spaces.
- Evaluate your holiday decor. If you are downsizing into a condo or townhouse, you can downsize your decor as well.
- Take a look at your home decor. Will you be decorating your new home in the same style?
- Are you moving to a new climate? Take a look at your clothes. Do you still need all that winter gear?
- Are you making a career or life change? Is it time to purge those suits?
- Take a look in your garage. Are you moving to another home or a space where you don’t need those outdoor supplies?
After you do an evaluation, let the purging process begin. Go through each room and decide what you want to keep, sell, or donate. You can even start the packing process. Your realtor will be appreciative when you clear out stuff before you list your place. A clutter free home presents itself much better than one that is full of stuff.
The earlier your start prepping for your move, the easier it will be on move day!!