Whether your moving, downsizing, or just plan clearing out- the purge process is essential. And while we all like to handle things once, most of the time its impossible. I have found that the perfect/one time purge just doesn’t exist.
Depending on the amount of items that you need to go through, it might take a couple of rounds to scale it down.
How should you begin this challenging process?
- Visually do a first pass. Go through your items and get rid of items that you know you don’t need or want anymore.
- Make a pile of items that you need to spend time evaluating. This could include notebooks or pictures.
- Make another pile of items for friends and family. If you are giving items away to specific people, make sure that you can get them out of your house in a reasonable amount of time. The longer they sit, they risk the chance of being mixed back in with your stuff.
- Take a break between purges. If you have the ability, wait a little while then return to do a second layer purge.
- Take your time and make good decisions.
If you know that a purge is in your future, start as soon as you can. Don’t leave it till the last minute and find yourself in a mad rush.