Ever wonder why your some of your organizing systems don’t seem to work? No matter how hard your try, you just can’t seem to get it right. Here are the top ten organizing mistakes and how to correct them.
1. My home gets disorganized again the next day. I hear this one all the time. Daily maintenance is the only way that your home will stay organized.
2. Define your space. Everything should have a home or place in your home. Advise your family members where things are to go, so its doesn’t end up as a free for all.
3. Are you constantly handling things more than once. Picking them up, putting them down. Use the OHIO method-ONLY HANDLE IT ONCE.
4. Why haven’t you gone paperless? Are you still struggling with piles of mail each day? Lighten up your paper load. Get your bills and financial statements online.
5. Overstuffed and over categorized? Does this fit the description of your dressers drawers? Categorize them. They are meant for smaller items such as underwear, socks, and pajamas. Avoid stuffing them full of larger items such as jeans and bulky sweaters.
6. Did you just buy the cutest containers? My question to you- Are they really functional? Some of these “cute” containers just don’t work. Many times in order to utilize all your space, you need containers that stack. When you have a lot of items to store, mis-sized containers won’t cut it when it comes it organizing.
7. Extra baskets laying around your home? Yes they are pretty but whats inside them? They tend to become catch alls for paper and misc items. Clear them out. Keep only what you need.
8. Even those of us with great memories need visual reminders. Label your containers. You can use a label maker or label tags. This will keep your family from rummaging from container to container to try and find things.
9. The clothing closet. Do you have to shuffle your clothes every morning to find something to wear? Organize your clothes by category and color. Your closet should look like a rainbow of color. A stylist told me that everything in your closet should be your cut, color and size. If you are between sizes, remove the stuff that doesn’t currently fit.
10. Last but not least. What should you be storing in your prime accessible space? What do you need around you and what can you move to “cold” or less accessible place. Some of these things include photos, memories, and seasonal items.
I hope these tips help you on your path to getting organized!!
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.