If I have heard it once, I have heard it a thousand times. Your organizational systems aren’t working and you can’t stay organized. Well, let me tell you what is wrong.
* The number one reason your organizing systems aren’t working is that you are not in love with the system. When I work with clients, I brainstorm with them to find the best solution. It may not be the solution that I feel is best, but they feel it will work for them. If you like your system, you will make a bigger effort to maintain it.
* Choosing a “complicated” system is another reason that will cause you to have failure. I have seen a lot of multi step systems that confuse me. Paper management is one system that you really need to keep simple. Too many containers or filing systems equals trouble with a capital “T”. Keep only what you need and have it clearly labled. Archive the old stuff such as taxes and closing documents.
* Not having things accessible is another detriment to your goal of organization. Who wants to dig to find things you need.
* Having too many items in your system also leads to failure. Don’t overstuff your bins, boxes, or filing system.
* Putting too many categories in one container also causes problems. I find this issue in dresser drawers quite a bit. Don’t shove your underwear, bras, and socks all in one drawer. They will never all fit and you will spend a lot of time trying to find what you need. You should not have a junk drawer in your dresser. Categorize your items. Put like with like.
* And last but not least- daily maintenance. You are having a system failure because you don’t maintain it. This holds true for closets, and kitchen pantrys. If you spend a little time each day putting items away in the right place, it will help you in the long run. Label your shelves if you find that helpful.
In closing, choose a simple system that you love. Own it!