So you can’t take it anymore. You look around and all you see is clutter. First stop google for some fact finding. Then after a few phone calls, you have scheduled an appointment with a professional organizer.
Hiring a professional organizer is not the cure! You are the cure. Your participation and willingness to listen/learn are a step in the right direction.
The Organizer will walk in your door full of energy and ideas( yes, I caffeinate). She or he will be ready to jump in the project to help you make some positive changes in your space.
So how do you ensure it will be a productive session? Here are a few helpful hints to help you on the way to organization.
1. Take away all the distractions- the phone, pets, and kids
2. Carry a pen and pad with you- We don’t mind having you pick our brain. Organizers love to share their passion and ideas.
3. Define what project you are going to work on ahead of time. If your organizer suggests getting some supplies, do it! Its impossible to determine all the items that you need. If you have the basics, it will help you on your way.
4. Brainstorm with the Organizer. Choose a solution that will work best for you and your family.
5. Put all shopping on hold (except for organizing supplies) while you are organizing. Yes, the organizer will create space for you but its not a good idea to introduce new things until your existing items have a place.
6. If you have scheduled multiple sessions with an organizer, try to avoid putting items in the areas that have been cleared.
7. If you aren’t happy with a solution or find it isn’t working, advise the organizer. Tweak it or try something different.
8. If you are given tasks by the organizer to complete in between sessions(laundry, supply shopping, ect), make an effort to get them done. This will help the process.
And most important, try to have some fun. Put on some music. Laugh. Your not in prison, your on your way to having a more organized life!!