While I’m not a WiFi guru or expert, I do know enough to be dangerous. We live in a 100 year old house with most of the walls being plaster so WiFi signals don’t necessarily go everywhere. So I’m always on the lookout for WiFi tips, tricks and new technologies. And I thought I’d share a few with you.
- Is it really that hard to figure out where to put your WiFi Extender?
- This router goes to eleven! Actually, it comes with external antennas which help deliver high performance wireless speeds of up to 300 Mbps.
- Comcast cannot figure out old school cable but it going to try its hand at creating 8 million WiFi hotspots.
- Very creative and funny written piece here: “The good news: Routers are a lot more sophisticated than ever before. The bad news: The decision about what router to get next is now more complicated.”
We have a Zoom 5350 Cable Modem/Router in the attic which provides enough internet for email and web surfing provided we are either in the bedroom or not too far from the attic. I’ve been working on various configurations to try and extend the range and the strength of our broadband connection.
Here’s what I have to take it to the next level:
- NETGEAR FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall 8 with 8-Port 10/100 Switch
- Hawking HWREN1 Hi-Gain Wireless-300N Range Extender
- NETGEAR Powerline 200Mbps Nano Adapter – Starter Kit (XAVB2101)
- NETGEAR XWNB5201 Powerline 500Mbps to N300 Wi-Fi Access Point
- Apple Airport Express
I have to recommend the NETGEAR XWNB5201 Powerline, not only does it bring the Internet down from the attic to the basement, it actually increased our download speeds!
Thank you for reading and I hope you will comment below. Please also do any and all of the following — I know pushy right!
- “Like” and “Share” this post using those buttons under the headline.
- see some mildly amusing photos and posts on my Facebook Fan Page.
Note: The latest Facebook algorithm changes might cause you to miss some of my posts and you don’t want Facebook deciding what you can and cannot see do you? here’s a fast and easy way to stay engaged with my page.
- follow me on Twitter @Icarus2013
- subscribe by email below
The latest Facebook algorithm changes might cause you to miss some of my posts and you don’t want Facebook deciding what you can and cannot see do you? Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. !”