Above the building at 1629 N. Milwaukee Avenue reads “M. Houlberg Co. Painters & Decorators.”
Martinas (Martin) Houlberg was a Danish decorative artist who came to Chicago in 1892 to work on the World’s Colombian Exhibition. He designed and built the metal cornice on the building, which was built in 1903. This house both his painting and decorating business. He moved out of the building to LaGrange by 1922. He died in 1940.
For 35 years, this was the site of N. Prehler Hardware in the mid-20th century. It was rehabbed in the 1990s and now houses a beauty spa.