Atop the building at 2213 North Clybourn Avenue in Lincoln Park reads “THE COLIBA.”
Older North Side readers will recognize this building as a major community center for Romanian citizens. The Coliba was opened in 1920 by the parish of St. Mary’s Romanian Orthodox Church, which was originally located nearby at 1345 W. Webster Avenue.
At the time, this area was also where many of the city’s Romanian citizens resided and owned businesses. The St. Mary’s parish moved to the Portage Park neighborhood in the early 1960s. The Coliba, which was also their parish hall, moved with the parish in the mid-1970s. Today, The Coliba building is the home to a modest Christian church.