Charles “Carl” Heinze was born around 1821 in Prussia. He and his wife Wilhelmine had four sons and two daughters.
Charles had a been a butcher at 476 N. (then 186) Milwaukee Avenue since – at least – 1861. In 1878, a building was built at 1415 N. Milwaukee Avenue in Wicker Park to house his meat market. Two of his sons, Herman and Charles Jr., ended up working with him here.
By 1887, the business became Charles Heinze and Sons. By 1890, Charles had died and the meat market then became Heinze Brothers. It continued in this location for decades until the Heinze brothers retired shortly after 1920.