I like my slow cooker for the convenience of knowing that dinner can be waiting for us at the end of a busy day. There are things I’ve made in the slow cooker that were good and others that were less so, but I wouldn’t have characterized anything I made in the slow cooker as exciting until I got my newest cookbook, The Chef and the Slow Cooker by Hugh Acheson. This is chef-quality cuisine that just happens to utilize a slow cooker.
So far I’ve made two recipes from this cookbook: Classic Braised Short Ribs and the Beer-Braised Pork Tacos. Both were deliciously crave worthy, and made the house smell phenomenal. I am certain to make both of those again, but I also look forward to trying other recipes from the book. (Kimchi-Braised Chicken is definitely on the short list.) The writing in the cookbook conveys Acheson’s love of food and unfussy style. Drawings and photographs showing how the chef spends his time while the slow cooker does the work add to the charm.
The recipes in this cookbook require more preparation than the usual “just dump everything in and pray” slow cooker recipes, but the steps are not difficult. The combination of slow cooker convenience and sophisticated flavor combinations guarantee that this is a cookbook that will get a lot of use in my house.
Would you like your own copy of The Chef and the Slow Cooker? Well, by accident I ended up with two copies of this cookbook, so I’m going to give one away! Here’s how you can win:
- Email the the story of your worst slow cooker meal to kimzdale [at] gmail.com by November 25, 2017 (extended!). Put “Cookbook Giveaway Entry” in the subject line and include your name and city in the body of the email.
- I will pick my three favorite slow cooker disasters and publish them on this site during the week of November 27th.
- The person with the story of what I determine is the worst slow cooker meal experience will be the winner.
- I will contact the winner at the email they used to enter the contest to ask for the address where they would like the book shipped.
- If I don’t hear from the winner within 5 days, I will give the book to the runner up.
- I will ship the book in time for Christmas (whether to give as a gift or use to make a holiday meal).
RELATED POST: Brandied cranberries (not a slow cooker recipe, but just as easy and perfect for Thanksgiving)
Get notified of new posts by email. Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.