Everything you need to know to train your kid for a 5K race.
5K races are a perfect event for an active kid that works out on a regular basis. Do not worry if your kid is not doing a lot of road work right now, you can get them ready in a few weeks. Here are the steps you need to take to get them ready for a fun 5K.
5 tips to get your child ready for a 5K
- Buy them good running shoes. Go to a store that specializes in running shoes and have their foot looked at when they run. Once you purchase the shoe for them, do not allow them to use it for other activities than training for the race.
- Get them running / walking for 3 miles worth of distance, even running around the park. Or, simply keep them running and playing games across the middle of the park for one hour straight. The trick is to keep it fun.
- Incorporate strength training into their workout like squats, step ups on a park bench, push ups, jump squats or chin ups.
- Try to correct their running technique- for example, if they do not move their arms opposite than their legs- focus on the correct arm action. Another tip to improve their running technique is to encourage them to keep their head up and make sure they have good posture when they run.
- Emphasize the importance of hydration. Building good training habits early on is critical to their success.
5 Stores that sell running shoes.
Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, 4762 N Lincoln Ave
Phone number (773) 271-3338
Lincoln Park, 1620 N Wells St
Phone number (312) 587-3338
2. Road Runner
Near North Side, 1435 N Kingsbury St
Phone number (312) 448-2966
3. Kid’s Foot Locker
West Garfield Park, 3900 W Madison Street
Phone number (773) 722-3560
The Loop, 213 S State St
Phone number (312) 957-9040
4. New Balance Chicago
Lincoln Park, 2369 N Clark St
Phone number (773) 348-1787
The Loop, 35 South State Street
Phone number (312) 629-5386
Great 5K Runs for kids in the Chicagoland area coming up in the next few weeks,
Burr Ridge, Illinois
The Run For Veterans is a great family-oriented 5K. Their goal is to raise awareness about the mental health of veterans and their needs for continued mental health care. It welcomes all fitness levels.
Take your family to the beautiful Fox River area. Enjoy this family focused event in downtown St. Charles which ends in the Pottawatomie Park Grand Pavilion. Aside from a 5K they also have a color run which is only $10 for kids.
Gorton Center Lake Forest, Il
The Twilight Run Walk Roll is the largest Chicago Area Runners Association (CARA)-certified 5k run/walk. It permits disabled and non-disabled athletes to compete side-by-side. It is also a stroller friendly event- so if you have an elementary age child and a younger one- this is the perfect
This event was established to raise money for the Robert Scott Samuels Memorial Scholarship Fund. This scholarship offers children the opportunity to go to summer camp. The 5K will start at 8:00 AM. Kids Dash will start at the conclusion of the 5K. Race day registration opens at 7:00 AM race morning. Register early! Race fee increases to $35.00 on race morning.
Grant Park, Chicago, Illinois
The Run Mag Mile half and 5k is one of Chicago’s most prestigious runs. This part of the city gets shut down, giving participants a great way to see Chicago’s great magnificent mile.