(Note: portions of this post appeared on my personal blog)
As many of you may be aware, chief job stalker Brendan has been working on a project that has been taking up much of his time. My freelance activities, and new Chicago Now blog (focusing on my professional interests), are taking up more of my free time.
And so, in an attempt to engage you to join the Job Stalker team as a regular blogger!
Blogging can be helpful – you learn how to get your name “out there”, to share your experiences job seeking, and to share the insights and resources that you are tapping into as part of your job seeking. As I had outlined on my personal blog, there are several key characteristics a blogger will need, including:
- Lives in the Chicago area
- Currently out of work and actively looking for work
- Writing Ability (especially with blogging) and familiarity with WordPress
- Wishes to gain visibility (this is purely an unpaid gig), but there are plenty of networking opportunities
- Provide appropriate marketing via social media (Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus)
And you’re probably wondering…what have I gained? I’ve been able to gain access to unique networking events and reading materials; the ability to put on seminars like Sherlock Holmes & the Social Media Mystery (with a great source of publicity), but quite honestly….this past year has seen an improvement in both personal satisfaction and the growth of my writing skills.
I’m more than happy to help someone transition into the role…and you’re more than welcome to join us.