Last week I was fortunate enough to celebrate another birthday.
Now that I am a woman of a certain age in her late 40’s I tend to take stock of where I am, where I’m going in life and where I want to be.
Most people would like a second bite at the apple. To go back and redo past mistakes or take advantage of missed opportunities.
That’s kinda the point—you don’t get a second chance. Wishing for something that literally can’t happen is a waste of time and energy. It encourages you to dwell on the past instead of focusing on the future.
If a younger person asked me what I’ve learned, I’d give them the following list:
- Go to fucking class. And while you’re at it, study for the tests.
- Go abroad while you’re in college.
- Always exercise. Set up a regimen. Do it now and stick to it.
- Do not wreck your credit. For anyone (family included)—ever.
- Take other people’s opinion into consideration but you are the boss of you. You smarter, more resourceful, tougher and braver than you think you are. You know what you’re doing, trust yourself.
- Save your fucking money.
- Yeah, you may be 100% correct, but don’t say whatever you’re thinking in your work meeting.
- When you get that sinking feeling about a date, believe it.
- When you get that sinking feeling about a relationship, believe it.
- Do not go for the easy lay. So much better sex awaits. Touch yourself furiously until he or she arrives.
- Spend more time with the parental units and the grand parents. You only have a finite amount of time to soak up what they know. You will need to know this adult stuff later.
Be less judgmental. Life has a funny way of making you look like an ass.
If you liked this post, “like” I Hate My Developer on Facebook
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.