A few weeks ago, a good friend of mine shared an article from Renegade Mothering expressing her pure disgust for Caillou. I found her article to be quite entertaining and even somewhat true, only I don't necessarily feel the same way. I was shocked to see that many of her readers actually share her feelings regarding the harmless, bald, forever four year old cartoon character. I put back on my "SEO" hat for a second and did a little googling to see how many other parents felt that way too, turns out most moms in America hate Caillou with a passion.
One mom in particular even wishes that the animated character burn in a fire, pretty harsh don't you think? Now maybe I'm new to this parenting thing and don't have as much experience with Caillou, but I don't see what the big problem is. I decided to take the opposite approach and share 5 reasons why I don't hate Caillou. I would have done 10, but realistically I probably can't think of 10 reasons. I'm curious to see if anyone agrees with me.
5. Simple: Caillou is a very simple cartoon, it doesn't require too much thought or explanation and the stories are very easy to follow
4. Life Lessons: The cartoon teaches real life lessons suitable for preschool aged children in a way that they can comprehend
3. Realistic: Caillou acts pretty much like many four year old kids, he's a whiny little brat as most kids his age are, hating Caillou would mean that I hate many of the children I know in real life who whine a great deal more than he does
2. Positive: Caillou is a fairly positive cartoon, he has manners that pretty much reinforce the behaviors we are teaching Go-2-baby like saying please, thank you, your welcome and all of that good stuff
1. Attention: Last but definitely not least, this fairly simple cartoon captivates my child's attention for a longer period of time than anything else. She plops in front of the television and allows me to get work done around the house, on the computer and GASP, she even allows me to get in a quick nap at times.
I'm sure that my 5 reasons aren't compelling enough to change the minds of the MAC (Moms Against Caillou) coalition, but its enough for me to maintain my sanity as Go-2-baby sings along with the theme song everyday. Caillou is the first character I've ever seen my child get excited about. She squeals and jumps for joy whenever she sees it on Netflix YouTube or anywhere. How can I hate a cartoon that brings my child so much happiness? Again, I may be new at this parenting thing. Maybe I'm supposed to learn to hate whatever she loves so much, but for now I'm going to have to cut the little bald kid some slack. So much slack that I'm actually in the process of planning a Caillou and friends birthday party for the big 2 next month. I'll be sure to share pics of course.
Are there any other moms out here who actually don't mind Caillou? You don't necessarily have to love him, but I'm sure there has to be a group of parents who equally like or even love Caillou? Or...is it really just me?