Here are 10 reasons sweating benefits you. “Break out the towel, grab a bottle of water and get your sweat on.” Those are the words I’ll be saying every week to a new group of brides-to-be I’ll be working with to help get them in great shape for their big day. Everyone wants to get into great shape, but the road to a strong body isn’t always easy. Fortunately, the benefits are many, particularly when it comes to sweating.
Two of my favorite ways to sweat include high intensity interval training (HIIT) and a short stint in a steam room. Even though both run on the opposite ends of activity spectrum (stimulation <———> relaxation), they work to optimize my body’s ability to burn fat. HIIT, like in this workout, including very short bursts of intense activity followed by rest, is a great belly fat burner. Short periods of time, usually 15 minutes, in heat (steam room, bath, sauna) relax the body, turning on the parasympathetic nervous system. This relaxation settles the body down and reduces cortisol levels. Cortisol is a stress hormone that promotes belly fat if not kept in check. HIIT and relaxation usually don’t happen on their own. Take time to build them into your schedule and reap the benefits in sweat.
1) Sweating cools your body. It’s a built in ventilation system.
2) It improves your skin’s elasticity and tone. You’ll look younger!
3) It improves blood flow. Your circulation gets a boost.
4) It has a great detoxifying effect. Sweat helps to push out “junk” from your lymph system, liver, blood, etc.
5) It improves digestion and helps eliminate constipation. What goes in should come out within 24 hours.
6) Sweating rids the body of pesticides, herbicides, and heavy metals we breath in. Yes, it’s detoxing (point 4), but worth mentioning on its own.
7) Sweating boosts your endorphins. You’ll be happier.
8) It’s a natural antibiotic! That’s right, sweat can actually kill bacteria that can cause infection through antimicrobial peptides.
9) Sweat naturally elevates your “bad ass” level. When you finish a yoga class or run all sweaty and hot, you look like you’ve earned your stripes.
10) It helps you relax. Keep calm and carry on.
Looking for a way to sweat more in the New Year. Workout with me! Now through 12/31 I’m offering 20% off all training 10 packs and discounts on diet coaching, too! Get the scoop here.
Filed under: Fitness