While blogging takes up a large portion of my time, there’s more to Geek Girl Chicago than just this page. I work at a science museum. I cosplay. I produce audio. My responsibilities and hobbies make me a bit of a geek expert… at least in the eyes of some. More and more frequently, I have been given the honor of appearing elsewhere in media.
The following is a master list of my Geek Girl Chicago-related press appearances. I will keep it updated, so if you’re interested in hearing more from me, bookmark it! Every major publication featuring me will be included. I will NOT include websites that quote me briefly, just show pictures, or simply link back to my work.
Gametraders’ Live Magazine: An international, online-only magazine, all about video games and the people who play them.
– CosplayLive – December 2014 – An interview with full-page photos, oo! They ask me about gaming, working at museums, and more.
The Geekiary: An up-and-coming geek entertainment and culture hub, now experimenting with cosplay coverage.
– Summer Cosplay Series 1×5, Lauren – 7/18/14 – Tara Lynne digs into my cosplay origin story and most meaningful memories. I talk about Yuna from FFX a bunch.
Official Site * Twitter * Facebook
Inveterate Media Junkies: Reviews and general buzz surrounding comics, movies, video games, and more.
– Cosplay Confidential, featuring Lauren Rapciak! – 3/7/14 – Deanna of the IMJ asks me all about my favorite hobby in the first-ever edition of this column. There are some rare photos here.
RedEye: Chicago’s free daily newspaper
– Geek to Me presents the Top Geek Gals of 2013 – 12/31/13 – In which my arch-nemesis, Elliott Serrano, is kind enough to choose me as one of the year’s most distinguished ladies in geek culture. Awww!
Society Found: Midwestern pop culture news
– NWI Comic-Con Recap – 2/23/14 – Stories and video from the first-ever NWI Comic-Con, including a short interview with me in my Elizabeth costume.
WBEZ 91.5: Chicago’s NPR affiliate
– Nerds take Chicago – 9/20/13 – A guide to Chicago’s geek culture, highlighting key organizations, performers, storefronts- even bloggers!
– Chicago Comic Con not just about comics anymore – 8/9/13 – Several Chicago geek experts chime in on the current direction of Wizard World Chicago Comic Con.
Alcohollywood: Clint and Jared watch a new movie every week, then build a cocktail and drinking game around it.
– The Princess Bride – 1/8/15 – I return for an Alcohollywood solo gig, this time to talk about perhaps the greatest love story ever. Fair warning- I bring the original book, and quote it often- just like the geek I am.
– Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade – 8/7/14 – This is the only podcast I’ve ever done alongside my husband! We were honored to be chosen for Alcohollywood’s 150th episode.
– The LEGO Movie – 6/26/14 – Everything is awesome, particularly when drinking clear sangria with fruit-flavored LEGO brick ice. Mmm~!
Official Site * Facebook
Blastropodcast: Dottore Balordo, Commedia man of SCIENCE, takes his guests on funny, educational, and completely disturbing adventures. There’s no other podcast like this.
– Geek and Destroy – 5/27/14 – I hijack Dottore’s battle van in an attempt to take him to his first sci-fi convention. Results are shaky. The van is powered by bird blood, and pursued by the time traveling Doctor Why. Gulp~
Official Site * Facebook * Twitter
Caffeinated Comics: Every Saturday, these guys get hopped up on lattes and cappuccinos. They aim to discuss comics, but things frequently go off the rails in the best way.
– Xmascast – 12/22/13 – Things get deep as we discuss Doctor Who meeting Jesus, the definition of mythology, and my atheism.
– Chicago Geekcast – 11/11/13 – I defend Chicago as America’s most underrated geek hub. Arcade bars! Conventions! My new car!
– Are Nerds Dead? – 4/22/13 – A general intro to GGC, and still my favorite podcast appearance ever. Why do these boys know so much about John Hamm?!
Official Site * iTunes
Chicago Nerd Social Club Podcast: The CNSC expands its influence even further with this program. Content is both local and worldwide.
– Kickoff Episode – 12/5/12 – I talk all about the Disney Star Wars buyout alongside my friend and nemesis, Elliott Serrano.
CinemaJaw: Matt and Ry LOVE movies. Their show explores the latest offerings in theatres, Top 5 lists of classics, and everything in between.
– Best Wedding Movies – 1/19/15 – In honor of the film The Wedding Ringer, the guys list their best-ever wedding flicks. As I am Geek Girl Chicago, however, there’s also quite a bit about Iron Man and The Hulk. Now there’s a wedding I’d pay to see…
Official Site * Twitter
OCDweeb: Sawyer’s podcast covers just about everything- “movies, comics, comedy, and fiction.” In the end, episodes end up being character studies of their guests.
– Cosplayin’ with Lauren Faits – 7/23/14 – While I never quite figure out the episode’s topic, Sawyer does get me to talk about things I’ve never addressed live before. OKCupid horror stories, anyone?
Official Site * Facebook
Southgate Media Group: This network of podcasts spans dozens of fandoms. I met its founder at C2E2 before he started the company. Now, it’s thriving!
– Live at the Blue Box – 1/10/15 – I am interviewed at The Blue Box Cafe, a Doctor Who-themed coffee and sandwich shop in Elgin, IL. Lots of kids are in the audience. you listen closely, you can hear the crowd applaud when I talk about bullying. So proud!
Talking Games: This offering by comedy group The Nerdologues explores the joys of gaming- table top, video games, you name it.
– EarthBounding with Lauren Faits! – 10/28/14 – Apparently, I did such a great job talking about EarthBound on my last episode, that the guys wanted more. This ep is almost exclusively me defending the title’s awesomeness to two (former?) non-believers.
– Getting Angry and Going EarthBound – 3/18/14 – Everyone gets emotional over their favorite games. I tell two tales: the veryworst game of Battlestar Galactica, and the first time I cried playing SNES.
WHO 37: A Chicago Whovian shares his passion for Doctor Who, the longest-running sci-fi show of all time. Geronimo!
– The Wife and the Geek Girl – 10/29/13 – What starts as a cosplay and blog plug quickly turns into a VERY long rant about why I dislike the Matt Smith seasons. Oops~
Official Site * Twitter * Facebook
The Last Arcade: A now-defunct, bi-weekly show that covered pop culture, 80s nostalgia, and geek news. Such a shame. :/
– Episode lost!! – My first podcast. I’d love to find the episode and share it if it has been preserved.
(upcoming:) Chicago Video Game Law Summit – 3/27/15 – Speaker
– 3/29/14 – Panel Moderator (So You Want to Make an Audio Drama?) and Panelsit (Doctor Who Fandom)
– 2015 – Cosplay Contest Judge
Eisenhower Public Library Mini Comic Con – 9/6/14 – Cosplay Contest Judge
Nakama Toys – 7/19/14 – Costume contest judge at the Japanese toy store’s grand opening.
– 2/23/14 – VIP Guest & Cosplay Contest Judge
– 2/21/15 – VIP Guest & Cosplay Contest Judge
Windycon 41 – 11/14/14-11/16/14 – Fan Guest of Honor
Her Universe – Fashion line and Internet home of Ashley Eckstein, voice of Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
– Fangirl of the Day: Lauren – 12/13/13 – Ashley was sweet enough to feature me and my humble blog during her year-long celebration of fangirls. Folks say I look like her sister when I wear my Rose wig.
Irrational Games – Creators of the BioShock video game franchise
– Cosplayers of Dragon Con – 9/18/13 -Yes, I am shamelessly linking this because it talks about my engagement.
Want me for a podcast, convention, article, show, or other feature? Comment below, or write to geekgirlchicago(at)gmail(dot)com.