“I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
- Robert Frost
Much like Frost’s seminal piece, the White Sox have a decision to make tonight at 6 p.m. One road is a natural hitting 1B Cal-product with loads of power to dream on. The other is a speedy high school SS with the potential to grow into his power. What road the Sox take will make all the difference.
Andrew Vaughn has long captivated scouts, since his Golden Spikes Award-winning campaign his sophomore year. His selling point is his bat and names like Paul Goldschmidt and Josh Donaldson are being whispered as the potential to dream about.
CJ Abrams would be a mould-breaking selection for the college-heavy drafting White Sox. A promising athlete, Abrams’ high school success has teams salivating at his potential as he grows and develops into a finished up-the-middle product.
Both have the prospect shine of someone who has yet to fail, and both would be top-100 prospects and a boon to the farm. The big bat of Vaughn has me tantalized, but the majority of evaluators have tied Abrams to the Sox in several different iterations of mock drafts.
So today, when the White Sox stand at a fork in two paths, it seems almost definite they’ll take the one less traveled by, and will hope that makes all the difference.
With that, here’s what you need to know this week.
Prospect performance highlights
- Winston-Salem OF Tyler Frost had a 3-5 day with a double, a home run and a strikeout May 27. Not to be outdone, 3B Zach Remillard went 3-4 with a double, a walk and a strikeout.
- Kannapolis OF Alex Destino went 3-4 with a home run May 27.
- Charlotte OF Daniel Palka went 3-5 with a double, a home run and a strikeout May 28.
- Birmingham OF Luis Robert went 4-5 with two doubles, including a walk-off double May 28.
- Charlotte RHP Dylan Cease threw seven strong innings May 29. He gave up six hits and two runs. He struck out six and walked two. Could his next start be in Chicago? Only time will tell.
- Birmingham LHP Kyle Kubat is having a heck of a season. He threw 7.2 innings, gave up five hits and two runs May 30. He struck out four and gave up two walks.
- Winston-Salem 2B Nick Madrigal went 2-4 with a walk and two stolen bases May 30. OF Jordan George complimented his efforts. He had a 4-5 day with a double.
- Charlotte LHP Justin Nicolino had a remarkable performance, throwing eight shutout innings May 31. He gave up one hit, walked one batter and struck out eight.
- Kannapolis OF Ian Dawkins went 3-3 with two doubles May 31.
- OF Robert had himself another day June 1. He went 3-5 with a double.
- Birmingham placed C Daniel Gonzalez on the seven-day injured list June 2
- Birmingham placed LHP Bernardo Flores on the seven-day IL May 29
- Winston-Salem placed 2B Tate Blackman on the seven-day IL May 28
- Kannapolis placed 3B Johan Cruz on the seven-day IL May 31
- Kannapolis placed LHP Taylor Varnell on the seven-day IL June 1
- Charlotte activated LHP Caleb Frare from the 7-day injured list June 1
- Birmingham activated LHP Matt Tomshaw from the temporarily injured list June 2
- Kannapolis activated 1B Corey Zangari from the seven-day injured list May 25
- Birmingham LHP Tanner Banks was promoted to Charlotte
- Charlotte C Alfredo Gonzalez and LHP Matt Tomshaw were demoted to Birmingham
- Charlotte RHP Jordan Stephens was assigned to Winston-Salem
- Winston-Salem RHP Wyatt Burns and RHP Lincoln Henzman were promoted to Birmingham
- Winston-Salem LHP Tyler Watson was sent to Kannapolis
- Kannapolis RHP Vince Arobio was sent to Winston-Salem
- Charlotte RJP Kade McClure was demoted to Winston-Salem
- Great Falls RHP Devon Perez and RHP Kevin Folman were promoted to Kannapolis
- The White Sox recalled RHP Jose Ruiz from Charlotte
- Charlotte posted a 3-4 week (30-24 overall, 2 games back). It was a week of opposites for the Knights. After losing by 10 runs April 28, the team came back to score nine runs April 28. LHP Justin Nicolino had a remarkable performance, throwing eight shutout innings May 31. He struck out eight, while walking one. The Knights play three at home versus Gwinnett and four against Louisville.
- Birmingham went 2-4 for the week (21-34 overall, 11 games back). OF Luis Robert and LHP Kyle Kubat received the White Sox minor league player of the month awards for May, but the good times end there for the last place Barons. They start a five game series with Jacksonville Monday before moving onto Mobile later in the week.
- Winston-Salem had a 5-1 week (31-24 overall, 8 games back). The good news? The Dash are in second place. The bad news? The Down East Wood Ducks have a commanding 7.5 game lead. The Dash finish a series against Fayetteville before beginning a series against Myrtle Beach.
- Kannapolis compiled a 5-2 week (25-31 overall, 17.5 games back). Sitting at 17.5 games back, the Intimidators didn’t have a sterling start for the beginning of their season, but hope is not lost. OF Steele Walker is making the most of his first full season in affiliated ball. He’s hitting .365/.437/.581. The Intimidators play three against Delmarva and four against Augusta.
- Great Falls opens their season in 11 days.
News and Links
FutureSox Draft Preview Coverage:
- 1B Andrew Vaughn
- SS CJ Adams
- OF Hunter Bishop
- OF JJ Bleday
- LHP Nick Lodolo
- OF Bobby Witt Jr.
- C Adley Rutschman
- Draft preview podcast
FanGraphs’ released their pre-draft farm system rankings and the White Sox are at No. 4.
NBC Sports Chuck Garfien broke down who the White Sox could take at No. 3 in Sox Podcast.
FutureSox will be part of the Sox Machine Live! Draft Show. Tune in at 5:30 p.m. CST June 3.
James Fox has once again knocked his draft coverage out of the park. Read a breakdown of the White Sox potential draft strategy and explore some potential second round targets. James also completed a mock draft for The Loop Sports
FutureSox needs your support, because of that we’ve started a Patreon. For just $2 a month you’ll get access to exclusive early access to content, and have a direct communication channel with the FutureSox editorial team.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes
Tags: Alex Destino, Andrew Vaughn, Bernardo Flores, Caleb Frare, CJ Abrams, Corey Zangari, Daniel Gonzalez, Daniel Palka, Dylan Cease, Iaw Dawkins, johan cruz, Jordan George, Jordan Stephens, Justin Nicolino, Kyle Kubat, Luis Robert, Matt Tomshaw, Nick Madrigal, Seby Zavala, Tanner Banks, Tate Blackman, Taylor Varnell, Tyler Frost