It’s FutureSox rankings week. We’re ramping up our usual prospect coverage with a plethora of ratings.
From our Just Missed list (which was Just Published right here) to the FutureSox Top 30 (full list on Wednesday), stay on top of all of it. Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the “create subscription” button and you’ll be notified the second our rankings drop.
I know I’ll personally be looking to see where Birmingham OF Joel Booker is at.
With that, here’s what you need to know this week.
Prospect performance highlights
- Winston-Salem SS Nick Madrigal struck out for the first time in his professional career Aug. 4. He had an outstanding 72 plate appearance streak before then.
- Birmingham RHP Dylan Cease threw 6 shutout innings July 30. He struck out seven, walked two and gave up five hits.
- Winston-Salem 1B Gavin Sheets went 2-2 with a double July 31.
- AZL White Sox 3B Bryce Bush went 2-3 with two doubles and two walks Aug. 1.
- Winston-Salem SS Laz Rivera went 4-5 with a double and a triple Aug. 3.
- (Temporary) AZL White Sox OF Luis Robert went 3-3 with a double and a triple Aug. 4.
- Through his last five starts, Charlotte RHP Michael Kopech has thrown 31 innings. He’s given up 8 runs (2.32 ERA), 41 Ks and 4!!! walks. Word came out today that he’s also aware of the boxes he has to check. In his Aug. 5 start, he went seven innings. He gave up two runs and eight hits. He struck out nine and walked no one.
- Winston-Salem RHP Connor Walsh was placed on the 7-day disabled list Aug. 4.
- Charlotte activated INF Eddy Alvarez from the 7-day disabled list Aug 1.
- Winston-Salem activated RHP Danny Dopico from the 7-day disabled list Aug. 5.
- Winston-Salem activated LHP Hunter Schryver Aug. 1.
- Charlotte C Dustin Garneau was promoted to the White Sox, then sent back to Charlotte today.
- Charlotte OF Ryan LaMarre was promoted to the White Sox today, with Leury Garcia hitting the DL.
- Charlotte RHP Zack Burdi was sent on a rehab assignment to the AZL White Sox (REJOICE!)
- Birmingham C Brett Austin was promoted to Charlotte
- LHP Caleb Frare was assigned to Charlotte
- Birmingham RHP Alec Hansen was demoted to Winston-Salem
- Winston-Salem INF Mitch Roman and LHP Ian Clarkin were promoted to Birmingham
- Winston-Salem OF Luis Robert was sent on a rehab assignment to the AZL White Sox (REJOICE AGAIN!)
- Kannapolis SS Nick Madrigal was promoted to Winston-Salem
- Great Falls 3B Ramon Beltre and OF Steele Walker were promoted to Kannapolis
- Great Falls SS Jimmy Galusky was demoted to AZL White Sox
- AZL White Sox 3B Bryce Bush was promoted to Great Falls
- DSL White Sox RHP Yordi Rosario was assigned to AZL White Sox
- Charlotte released OF Ryan Brett
- Winston-Salem released RHP Cameron Seitzer
- Kannapolis released 3B/1B Anthony Villa
- Charlotte posted a 3-3 week (51-59 overall, 11.5 games back). OF Eloy Jimenez’s slash line is .376/.425/.679. How many boxes are left to check?
- Birmingham went 1-5 for the week (22-12 overall 2nd half, 2.5 games back). The Biscuits caught up and passed the Barons. It seemed inevitable with Birmingham’s five game losing streak. Still the Barons will have a chance to claw back into first with a five game series against Montgomery starting Wednesday.
- Winston-Salem had a 3-1 week (25-16 overall 2nd half, T-1st place). My god is this Winston-Salem team a fun one. With their first half championship already secured, the Dash look to hold onto their second half lead against Buies Creek. They play three at home against Myrtle Beach before playing three against Potomac.
- Kannapolis compiled a 3-2 week (23-18 overall 2nd half, 5 games back). The Intimidators’ biggest enemy was the weather this week. They play four against Hickory to start the week before playing four against Lexington.
- Great Falls had a 0-7 week (1-10 overall, 8 games back). Your Pioneer League First Half Champions are in the midst of a terrible slump as they ride a seven game losing streak, and are 1-9 over their last ten. The Voyagers will look to get back on track with a four game series against Idaho Falls after the all-star break.
- AZL White Sox enjoyed a 3-2 week. (5-5 overall, 2.0 games back).
- DSL White Sox posted a 3-3 week (12-42, 25 games back).
News and Links
- The FutureSox staff attempted to decide when Charlotte OF Eloy Jimenez should be called up. The only answer we had? You’ll have to see for yourself.
- Julie Brady looked into how the recently promoted prospects were doing in her weekly column, and sometimes, she gets a good feeling.
- FutureSox named our prospects of the month for July.
- Brian Bilek broke down White Sox GM Rick Hahn’s now infamous checking the boxes quote, concerning when Jimenez will break the main roster.
- Our own Rob Young analyzed the LHP Hunter Schryver deadline acquisition.
- 2080 Baseball scouted Birmingham OF Luis Alexander Basabe and Birmingham C Zack Collins.
- The Loop Sports’ James Fox wrote about Cuban phenom Victor Victor Mesa and what the Chicago teams could do.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes
Tags: Alec Hansen, Anthony Villa, Brett Austin, Bryce Bush, Caleb Frare, Cameron Seitzer, Connor Walsh, Danny Dopico, Dustin Garneau, Eddy Alvarez, Hunter Schryver, Ian Clarkin, Jimmy Galusky, Luis Robert, Mitch Roman, Nick Madrigal, Ramon Beltre, Ryan Brett, Ryan LaMarre, Steele Walker, Yordi Rosario, Zack Burdi