In this final regular season edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes for 2017, most of the affiliates completed their seasons, several prospects earn post-season honors and some additional call-ups are made to the big league level. In addition, we will update you on the rest of the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
And the Winner Is…
With August coming to a completion and most of the minor league seasons coming to a close a few days later, several White Sox prospects have earned post-season awards including RHPs Michael Kopech and Alec Hansen and OFs Eloy Jimenez and Micker Adolfo.
Kopech was named the White Sox Minor League Pitcher of the Month for August as went 2-1 (1.55 ERA, 38 Ks in 29 IP) in his final five starts for Birmingham and Charlotte. He was also named the Southern League’s Most Outstanding Pitcher for 2017 and was named to the SL Post-Season All-Star team as well, while holding batters to a league best .184 batting average.
Jimenez also earned monthly honors for August as he was named the White Sox Organizational Player of the Month to end the season. Jimenez was also named to the Carolina League post-season all-star team and was also the CL Player of the Week for August 7-13 before his promotion to Birmingham.
Adolfo was named to the South Atlantic’s Post-Season All-Star as the top DH in the league. Hansen became the minor league leader in strikeouts for the season with 191 Ks in three minor league stops.
- White Sox recalled RHP Carson Fulmer from Charlotte
- White Sox selected the contracts of LHP David Holmberg and OF Rymer Liriano from Charlotte
- Activated LHP Brian Clark from the temporary inactive list
- Activated INF/OF Tyler Ladendorf from the disabled list
- LHP Kyle Kubat assigned to Charlotte from Birmingham
- Activated OF Cameron Seitzer from the disabled list
- White Sox selected the contract of LHP Jace Fry from Birmingham
- 3B Ti’Quan Forbes assigned to Winston-Salem after being acquired from Texas organization
- RHP Kelvis Valerio placed on temporary inactive list
- Activated LHP Andre Wheeler from disabled list
- Disabled SS Yeyson Yrizarri
- Activated LHP Andre Davis from disabled list
- No transactions
AZL White Sox
- 3B Gerson Montilla assigned to AZL White Sox from Charlotte for rehab assignment
DSL White Sox
- No transactions
For the Record
- Charlotte went 4-3 during the final week of the season at home (61-81, 25 games back). The Knights closed out the season with back-to-back wins over Norfolk. Charlotte sent more than 20 players to Chicago throughout the season as manager Mark Grudzielanek‘s roster was in constant flux. The Knights will open the 2018 season on April 5 at Durham.
- Birmingham went 2-4 for the week, that included dropping four out of five games on the road at Mississippi. The Barons finished the season 53-85 (27-42 overall 2nd half, 21.5 games back) that included last-place finishes in both halves of the season. Hansen struck out nine batters to finish the season with the most strikeouts by a pitcher in all the minor leagues (191).
- Winston-Salem completed their season with a 3-4 record over the final week, that included four losses in a row, before they won their final three games over Salem. The Dash finished the season with a 56-84 overall record but showed improvement in the second half of the season with a 32-38 record. RHP Dane Dunning struck out nine over seven shutout innings in his final start.
- Kannapolis finished the regular season 2-4 in the final week to finish the regular season 68-69 (29-40 overall 2nd half, 9.5 games back). Thanks to a 39-29 first half that resulted in a first-half title, the I’s are headed to the post-season for the first time since 2009. The I’s face Greensboro beginning Wednesday in a best-of-three series to determine the overall SAL Northern Division champion.
- Great Falls stumbled to a 1-6 week that also has them on a five-game losing streak. The Voyagers are currently in a tie with Missoula for first-place (17-17 2nd half, 32-40 overall) with four remaining games, all four being head-to-head with Missoula in a split series as they vie for a second half Pioneer League North title. Because Missoula owns the head-to-head tie-breaker, the Voyagers will need to win 3 of 4 to go to the playoffs.
- The AZL White Sox completed their season with a 30-26 record (19-9 2nd half). Despite their strong second half and finishing tied for both the division lead and the league’s best second half record, they did not get a playoff spot as the AZL Dodgers won the tie-breaker with a better overall full season record.
- The DSL White Sox completed their season with a 34-37 record (10.5 games back). OF Luis Robert hit .310 with 12 extra base hits and 12 stolen bases in 28 games. He finished his season with three straight multi-hit games.
In Case You Missed It
- RHP Tyler Danish was injured in car crash on his way home for the season to Florida on Monday. Danish dislocated his left shoulder after being hit by a semi truck according to the Chicago Tribune’s Colleen Kane.
- Kane also reports that RHP Dylan Cease has been scratched from his scheduled SAL playoff start on Wednesday due to shoulder fatigue. LHP John Parke will reportedly be added from AZL for the playoff roster, but that’s not yet official.
- Grudzielanek has big league aspirations as a manager, writes the Tribune’s Chris Kuc.
- Fry will make his big league debut in his first appearance with the White Sox after being recalled from Birmingham following the completion of the Barons’ season.
- Liriano hit his first career home run on Monday after having his contract purchased from Charlotte over the weekend.
- Rob Young of FutureSox profiled 2016 draft pick RHP Matt Foster.
- Check out the most recent edition of the FutureSox Top Prospect Report by our own Owen Schoenfeld.
- Jimenez and Kopech will be making appearances at Guaranteed Rate Field this week following the completion of their minor league seasons.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes
Tags: Alec Hansen, Andre Davis, Andre Wheeler, Brian Clark, Cameron Seitzer, Carson Fulmer, dane dunning, David Holmberg, Dylan Cease, Eloy Jimenez, Gerson Montilla, Jace Fry, Kelvis Valerio, Kyle Kubat, Luis Robert, Mark Grudzielanek, Matt Foster, Michael Kopech, Micker Adolfo, Rymer Liriano, Ti'Quan Forbes, Tyler Danish, tyler ladendorf, Yeyson Yrizarri