In this edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, we will introduce you to pitching prospect Blake Hickman, get you updated on draft pick signings and check in on Luis Robert. In addition, we will get you caught up on the happenings, news, notes and transactions (lots of them) regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
Draft Pick Updates
The Major League Baseball draft was completed two weeks ago and the White Sox have signed at least 34 of their 40 selections, including first round pick Jake Burger, who was in Chicago on Monday taking batting practice at Guaranteed Rate Field before the White Sox took on the Yankees. In total, the club spent about $35,000 more than their alloted bonus pool, putting them over for the first time since 2014.
The rest of the White Sox unsigned picks are high school players that were selected in the 35th round or after and are not expected to sign, along with 16th rounder Logan Taylor who likely will sign if he hasn’t already. The four unlikely candidates include Riley Crean, son of former Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean, and Chance King, son of CNN host Larry King. Crean, of Bloomington North High School, is expected to honor his commitment to Indiana, while King is also expected to attend college.
The only player who is on the fence at this point is 38th round catcher, Dylan Horvitz, of New Trier High School. Last word we got from Dylan was that he was considering his options, but leaning towards going to school.
- SS Max Dutto assigned to Charlotte from Kannapolis, then eventually Great Falls
- CF Adam Engel and RHP Juan Minaya recalled by the White Sox
- RHP Jake Dunning activated from disabled list
- 2B Grant Green signed by White Sox assigned to Charlotte
- White Sox optioned RHP Gregory Infante to Charlotte
- LHP Colton Turner assigned to Birmingham from Charlotte
- OF Courtney Hawkins assigned to Birmingham from Winston-Salem, then a game later, disabled
- OF Jeff Gelalich activated from disabled list
- Released OF Jake Fincher and RHP Max Beatty
- 2B Toby Thomas, RHP Ian Hamilton, OF Jameson Fisher, RHP Jimmy Lambert, RHP Mike Morrison, LHP Kyle Kubat, RHP Alec Hansen, OF Joel Booker, C Seby Zavala and LHP Bernardo Flores assigned to Winston-Salem from Kannapolis
- LHP Ryan Riga disabled
- 2B Sam Dexter, RHP Matt Foster and OF Luis Gonzalez assigned to Kannapolis from Great Falls
- OF Aaron Schnurbusch, 2B J.J. Franco, RHP Yelmison Peralta, C Daniel Gonzalez and RHP Luis Martinez assigned to Kannapolis from Winston-Salem
- OF Antonio Rodriguez assigned to Kannapolis from Ext. Spring Training
- RHP Victor Diaz activated from disabled list
- RHP Blake Battenfield, RHP Fernando Gallegos, C Jacob Cooper, RHP Luis Ledo, RHP Sean Renzi, RHP Jhoan Quijada, LHP Ryan Boelter, RHP Brandon Agar, RHP Wil Kincanon, LHP Parker Rigler, LHP Joe Mockbee, RHP Tyler Johnson, RHP J.B. Olson, OF Luis Gonzalez, OF Tyler Frost, RHP Kyle Von Ruden, 2B Tate Blackman, OF Felix Mercedes, IF Franklin Reyes, C Nate Nolan, 3B Justin Yurchak, OF Craig Dedelow, 2B Luis Curbelo, OF Hanleth Otano, SS Mikey Duarte, SS Max Dutto and SS Ricky Mota assigned to Great Falls
DSL White Sox
- OF Droherlin Mejia activated from disabled list and released
AZL White Sox
- OF Antonio Rodriguez assigned to AZL White Sox on rehab assignment from Kannapolis
- SS Lenyn Sosa, C Adam McGinnis, RHP Zach Lewis, C Jhoandro Alfaro, C Jose Colina, LHP Greg Minier, 1B Sam Abbott, RHP Michael McCormick, SS JJ Muno, 2B David Cronin, SS Laz Rivera, OF Alex Destino, LHP Leonardo De La Cruz, LHP Joseph Benitez, RHP Vince Arobio, LHP Kevin George, RHP Ted Andrews, RHP Anthony Herron Jr., RHP Hunter Kiel, LHP Ryan Erickson and IF Alex Maloney (recently signed UDFA) assigned to AZL White Sox.
For the Record
- The Knights are 2-5 over their last seven games, including four losses in a row (32-43 overall, 14.5 games back) and have fallen into a tie for last place in the International League South Division. The pitching staff has given up 57 runs over those seven games, including 27 total runs in back-to-back loses at Durham. Carson Fulmer posted two losses on the week after allowing 13 runs in only 8 1/3 innings. The Knights continue their homestand versus Columbus and Gwinnett this week.
- Birmingham completed the first half of their season 26-43, before embarking on their all-star break. Michael Kopech‘s starting nod in the Southern League All-Star game was cancelled due to weather. The Barons have begun the second-half by winning two out of five games versus Montgomery, with the wins posted by LHP Jordan Guerrero and RHP Spencer Adams. Birmingham will complete this week with six home games versus Biloxi.
- Winston-Salem has roared out to a 4-1 start to the second half their season, due in large part to much needed help in the form of several promotions from Kannapolis. RHP Jimmy Lambert threw six scoreless innings in his Dash debut over the weekend. The only loss of the week was a 3-0 shutout at the hands of Buies Creek, despite six strong innings turned in by Dane Dunning. The Dash continue their eight-game road trip through the weekend against Down East and Carolina.
- Kannapolis has also begun the second half of their season 4-1, despite several roster changes that saw them lose several key first-half team members that helped them win the South Atlantic League, North Division first half title. Notable additions to the Intimidators for the second half include RHP Hickman, who made his professional debut two years after being selected in the seventh round of the draft out of Iowa, and 2017 third round pick OF Luis Gonzalez out of New Mexico. Hickman struck out seven over six innings in his 2nd half debut, while Gonzalez has gone 3-13 in his first three games with the team. The Intimidators continue their homestand this week against Hickory and Delmarva.
- The Arizona League White Sox have begun their season this week, and are 1-1 thus far.
- The Dominican Summer League White Sox are 9-11 through their first 20 games. Robert is currently hitting .257 with four extra base hits in 12 games.
- Great Falls currently sits in first place of the Pioneer League North Division following a 6-2 start to their season. 1B Anthony Villa has started out his season red-hot with three home runs and nine RBI in seven games of action. The Voyagers will head home to face Helena before hitting the road once again to Billings over the holiday weekend.
In Case You Missed It
- The Chicago Tribune’s Colleen Kane weighed in on the White Sox’ decision to convert college closers Henzman and Tyler Johnson into starting pitchers.
- MiLB.com caught up with pitching prospect Hickman, who recently made his White Sox debut for Kannapolis, following his recovery from Tommy John surgery.
- First round pick Burger signed with the White Sox for $3.7 million. The Chesterfield, Mo., native grew up emulating former Sox star Paul Konerko.
- CSN Chicago highlighted Kannapolis OF Micker Adolfo and how he is finally showing the promise that made him the number two ranked international prospect in 2013.
- Robert has started his career with the White Sox nicely as part of their Dominican Summer League team.
- Winston-Salem rallied for an extra-inning win in Alec Hansen’s Dash debut following his promotion from Kannapolis.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: News and notes